Valkyria Revolution

Level up here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Valkyria Revolution

Post by Exhuminator »

Kuruwin wrote:Unless i did some horribly wrong the enemies when laying on a grass didn't take almost no damage at all when being shot by regular guns and you had to throw grenades at them.

It's unrealistic, but it adds an extra layer of strategy. When your own soldiers hide in grass they get the same benefit.
Kuruwin wrote:I also hated that getting lot's of points was all down to being fast. You either rush or you get very little point's to level up (though like i said it wasn't very rewarding to level up in the first place)

The designers did this to encourage the player to be as tactful as possible, meaning the better you were at strategizing, the faster you could beat a mission. However with the first game, and the second to some extent, this put too much priority on using scouts above all other soldier types.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Kuruwin wrote:I like Musou games so i don't mind as long as it's a good one. Honestly the original game was kinda annoying with it's bizarre design choices.

Unless i did some horribly wrong the enemies when laying on a grass didn't take almost no damage at all when being shot by regular guns and you had to throw grenades at them.

Which makes no fucking sense at all.

The RPG features were also crap and pointless because the caps (caps might been issue in VC2, not really sure if 1 had them too) and how little leveling up affected the characters (only the class upgrades were useful)

I also hated that getting lot's of points was all down to being fast. You either rush or you get very little point's to level up (though like i said it wasn't very rewarding to level up in the first place)

There were other issues too but those are the ones that i can recall right now. The difficulty wasn't probably well balanced either (cheapish) because i lost interest halfway through on both 1&2.

Of course i would be up for new traditional Valkyrie if they fixed all the problems but i wouldn't be surprised if the third game has all the flaws of the first two so i don't have much fate on the team.

You have a lot of guts to say this, people really love this franchise.

I pretty much agree though, I couldnt finish the original Valkyria Chronicles.

I see the appeal, it's very innovative and unique as a SRPG, but it lacks subtlety and nuance. The scout class is so over powered it's really ridiculous. A part of the selling point is that you're supposed to be in a war/ww2 scenario, but the immersion is very easily broken when you have a scout literally just walking through enemy gun fire in plain sight.

Leveling up is pretty boring, and a large part of it also is that there is hardly any connection to your characters. Most of them are just generic characters who are spawned, where there is some attachment to them because they can die (or I could be even remembering that wrong, because if they could die it hardly happened for me). At least in a game like XCOM, it's a very realistic chance your characters will die, and it won't necessarily be to a cheap death.

That only leaves the main characters, who quite frankly, just suck. They're all so cliche.

VC is cool game in concept, but it's incredibly overrated.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Violent By Design wrote:VC is cool game in concept, but it's incredibly overrated.

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:VC is cool game in concept, but it's incredibly overrated.

:oops:
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

The concept is certainly good and i would like to see more games with the same combat style. I think the Lost Dimension (PS3,Vita) and the steam themed game on the 3DS take notes from VC but i haven't played them yet so i don't know how similiar they really are.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

VC2 and 3 definitely balance things better so it isn't just "lol Alicia dash!" You still won't just be rolling up the map, but many times it'll be because there is a legitimately overwhelming enemy force and you're better off cutting off their supply line.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

The scouts being overpowered is only a problem if you're aware of it. I see plenty of let's plays on youtube where people are playing the game the way it's meant to be played by using scouts the way the game intended. They're not aware of the orders+scouts exploit

Me, I didn't mind it at all, as I just found it hilarious watching Alicia dominate every battle. I actually love when players discover stuff like this as I just play games for fun and honestly don't care how challenging they are.

Also, scouts don't help with some of the DLC maps, hard mode skirmishes and EX mode skirmishes. Scouts are only overpowered in story based missions. A lot of the optional maps in VC force you to use certain classes or create scenarios where rushing the enemy base isn't how you beat the stage.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Sees new Valkyria Chronicles game...hears it's a Dynasty Warrior clone

Seriously Sega, WHY? It's not a big enough franchise to move units based on brand recognition alone, and it's not like the series did not review well or didn't have its loyal fans. If you wanted to refine it and simplify it like Fire Emblem did with awakening, that's fine, but a completely different genre???
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Hi Zero, you must be new to Sega. Remember Shining Force? Remember how awesome it was? Remember how they said "fuck those SRPG players, let's make it a shitty generic action RPG"?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Yeah, if nothing else, Sega is good at telling fans to go fuck themselves. I think this will be a good game, however; even if the IP isn't recognizable enough for this to be a commercial hit as a Warriors-esque game, the setting and context with Gallia squished between the warring Empire and Federation gives an opportunity for a great experience for fans of the series.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.