On the subject of 16-bit action-RPGs

Level up here
marurun

Re: On the subject of 16-bit action-RPGs

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:Somebody on that forum called them "Wrecking Designs". :lol:

That moniker for them has been around since before they got into the business of breaking games' difficulty levels, as a result of their free-wheeling translation work. I also think people assumed they broke Cosmic Fantasy 2, but that's a mistaken impression. Cosmic Fantasy 2 was completely broken before Working Designs got their hands on it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 a few years ago. I can't even count how many things were wrong with it. Just wow. I also own the first game but have yet to try it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 a few years ago. I can't even count how many things were wrong with it. Just wow. I also own the first game but have yet to try it.

And all the stuff wrong with the game that had to do with fundamental game mechanics, like most status effects doing nothing, were in the game in Japan, before WD even picked up the license to translate it. I really have no idea why the game is so broken. I haven't heard that any of the sequels are that borked. I have IV parts 1 and 2, but I haven't had the patience to play them, yet.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't think many folks assume WD broke Cosmic Fantasy 2 because I don't think anyone cares much about that game.

Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Vay are probably the two worst WD-localized games. So mediocre. And plenty of badass CD games of the time were left in Japan, like Illusion City and the Far East of Eden titles.

Cosmic Fantasy 2's effed up-ness goes far beyond the lack of status effects. Like, the fact that there are still items to prevent status effects. :lol: Also, from what I recall enemies do nothing but attack. Just a weird not-so-good game overall. Babbette = waifu tho.

I'm gettin' way off topic.