Together RPG - Xenogears - 12/1-2/1

Level up here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Xenogears - 12/1-2/1

Post by Exhuminator »

My history with Xenogears:

I rented the game on a Friday night in 1999, planned to play it a whole weekend. I made it about an hour in and became very annoyed at the high encounter rate and slow battle system. Said "meh" and put it away. I never even made it into a mech battle IIRC.

Years later I start reading people waxing nostalgic about how amazing Xenogears is. I wonder if we even played the same game. "Most amazing JRPG story ever," is the general consensus. I wonder if that's true or if people were just 14 when they played it. I decide I should give it another chance someday.

Maybe next year will be that someday.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I honestly didn't really hear too much about Xenogears outside of a few personal friends who were big fans of it. But yeah like I said on the last page, I was older when I played it and it was one of the later PSX JRPG's I finally got around too, and it still melted my brain. The beginning is a little slow and funky, but isn't that true for most in the genre?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I've really, REALLY wanted to give Xenosaga a chance, because I really liked the quality of the cutscenes. Sure, some are like 10+ minutes long, but YOU CAN SKIP THEM *cough* Squenix *cough*, and they're really, REALLY well voice acted and directed for the time. It feels like I'm watching a Sci-fi anime. I just wish the first game weren't such a MERCILESS grind-fest like it is, and perhaps I could get into it more :(

Perhaps I will give the DS Remake (Demake?) of 1&2 a try someday, and see if they are better paced.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Xenosaga, well acted? As someone who acts, this makes me sad.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Doth thou desire the power?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Violent By Design wrote:Xenosaga, well acted? As someone who acts, this makes me sad.

For an English dub of an anime, I thought it was well acted ;P
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

My first encounter with Xenogears was the demo that came with Parasite Eve. One of my friends had Parasite Eve and let me borrow the demo disc that came with it. I knew from the demo that I was going to love this game.

I was in high school when Xenogears came out. The local Kmart had it in stock but I was broke at the time. However report cards were coming out a few weeks later and my parents gave $5 for every "A". Soon I would have enough money to get it.

When report cards came out, I had just enough "A's" to cover the cost of the game with what little cash I already had. At the time, I was riding to and from school with my cousin who lived next door. When I got the report card, I casually asked him how much money he had on him. He looked in his wallet and said $40 (which is what Xenogears retailed for). I asked if he would drive me to Kmart and let me borrow the $40 until my parents paid me. He agreed and Xenogears was mine!

My parents were a little miffed that they had to cough up the report card money right away so I could pay back my cousin, but it was worth it. I think my first playthrough without a strategy guide or Internet, took me around 68 hours. Unlike a lot of people, I didn't really mind the second disc at all. By that time, I was engrossed in the story and gameplay. I didn't really care that I could not traverse the overworld.

In my opinion, it is the second best in the Xeno series behind Xenoblade Chronicles. However, I have not finished Xenosaga II and III. I have them both and I really need to get on that. Maybe 2017 will be the year!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Is anyone new playing it?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I started it up last night, but only played for about an hour. Just enough to get out of town. I'll continue tonight.

I've had the game on my shelf for years. Traded for it with someone here in fact.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Alright I'm doing this I think! Vita maybe?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.