Level up here
Ack

Re: Good retro JRPG series to marathon?

by Ack Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:48 pm

I'd say the early Mana series, particularly the first three entries. If you are willing to go for later, you can.

Also I like the Wild Arms games, even if they're not considered so great. I realize they are not the most highly regarded, but I think they would be interesting to marathon.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:24 am

The cliche answer is Final Fantasy, but the games are so varied with changing mechanics between each installment and really different stories and settings, it keeps it interesting. Few summers ago I played FFII (PSP), FFIII (J, NES), FFIV (PSP), and FFV (GBA) all back to back and it was amazing.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:20 am

The PC rules are taking a lot of rpg series off the list. Exile, Brandish and Xanadu as examples. Like you mentioned Dragon Buster series wouldn't be bad, there is also Breath of Fire, Oasis, Lufia, SaGa, and Mana. I would recommend Tengai Makyō - Far East of Eden if you don't mind the games are in japanese.

If you are going a liitle more modern Xeno, Shadow Hearts, and Grandia can be fun.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
marurun

by marurun Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 pm

I think early DOS/Apple/C64 RPGs would be the best to marathon, because you can often import your characters from the previous game.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all. Some great stuff here. I have settled on a series, it's one Ack mentioned..... In another thread. :lol:

Lufia - Five unique games (fifth one is technically a remake of the second, but it's been drastically altered and thus stands on its own as an installment), no ports so no arguments about the "best" version of each game, no optical media... Perfect. I'll start in the beginning of 2017.
Ack

by Ack Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:28 pm

I aim to please.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31 pm

I love what I remember of Lunar 1-2 (PSX), but I weirdly didn't beat either game. I hate when you can't remember why, I assume I just got pulled into other games or something. So it kind of feels like unfinished business with those, I'll need to hit them up again and finish them someday.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Thanks for the suggestions all. Some great stuff here. I have settled on a series, it's one Ack mentioned..... In another thread. :lol:

Lufia - Five unique games (fifth one is technically a remake of the second, but it's been drastically altered and thus stands on its own as an installment), no ports so no arguments about the "best" version of each game, no optical media... Perfect. I'll start in the beginning of 2017.

What am I mincemeat? :lol:
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Return to RPG