Level up here
Stark
Next-Gen

Together RPG - Final Fantasy Tactics - 10/1-12/1

by Stark Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:30 am

Together RPG - Strategy

Final Fantasy Tactics

We're going for a true classic this time with Square's Final Fantasy Tactics! FFT was originally released for the PlayStation in 1998 (available digitally on PS3 and Vita), and then recieved an update in 2007 with Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions for the PSP (and digitally for the Vita), which itself as been now ported to iOS and Android.

Final Fantasy Tactics takes place in the kingdom of Ivalice, which ended up being the setting of a game in the main Final Fantasy series game Final Fantasy XII. Ivalice has recently finished being embroiled in war for 50 years and now with the recent death of the monarch find themselves moving to a war of sucession, as the kingdom looks for a regent to lead the infant heir. Behind this "Lion War" backdrop is a revelation of the story of an unknown character (played by you) who's role in the Lion War was major but was covered up by the kingdom's church.

Gameplay is turn-based combat on a 3D-grid with an isometric camera. Unit types determine how many movement spaces, as well as strengths and weaknesses against other classes. Many of the typical Final Fantasy classes (jobs) are availble, such as Fighter, Black Mage, etc. Units gain experience in general as well as in their job and it's figuring out the leveling tree for each unit that is a big part of this game.

Let us know which version you're playing and share your thoughts and progress!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
MrPopo

Re: Together RPG - Final Fantasy Tactics - 10/1-12/1

by MrPopo Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:40 am

I'm going to be rocking the PS1 version, and I think I'll be looking up how to properly break the game in half. Then realize it sounds stupid and go with something like an all Dancer team or something.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:58 am

MrPopo wrote:I'm going to be rocking the PS1 version, and I think I'll be looking up how to properly break the game in half. Then realize it sounds stupid and go with something like an all Dancer team or something.

I found a single dancer pretty much breaks the game in half in the PSP game. That status effect inducing dance is the business.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:16 pm

Wow, it is hard to believe that the time between the original and PSP release is roughly the same time difference between the PSP and now. One of those "time flies by" moments. Seems like it was just released a few years ago...
Ack

by Ack Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Finding the most powerful class synergies was always one of my favorite things about Final Fantasy Tactics. At this point, my favorite party to roll out involves a team of female monks with all of their offensive abilities, maxed out Squire abilities for their secondary offense, the Counter ability from the monk tree for their reaction, the innate ability Dual Wield from the Ninja tree, and the Dancer's +3 movement.

This means you have a team that can hit nearly every angle around them from the monk abilities as well as the squire's Rock Throw, you can cure most status effects and get some health back with the monk abilities, you can accumulate more physical power from the squire abilities, every attack you do is two attacks of equal power with your bare hands, you counter with both attacks from your hands, and you have the highest mobility of any unit in the game. Plus since you wear less gear, you have to worry less about acquiring said gear.

Do you know how many things can take two back-to-back hits of 999 damage in Final Fantasy Tactics? Not many. Hell, you'll take down most of the bosses within a round or two.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm

MrPopo wrote:I'm going to be rocking the PS1 version, and I think I'll be looking up how to properly break the game in half. Then realize it sounds stupid and go with something like an all Dancer team or something.

Ramza only Calculator Run. :twisted:

Oh My God, did I play the Holy Hell out of this game? I put at least 999:99 Hours into it. In fact, that is how high the game will go. I mastered every single class with an entire party. And I STILL didn't do everything. I just watched a video last week and realized that I never did some of the side quests or do the really long hidden dungeon.

This was my first introduction into the SRPG genre. I loved the Final Fantasy series as I was playing everything I could get my hands on at that point. I bought this game for $20 and I got every penny's worth. Since then, I have tackled many giants in the SRPG genre and I still look back fondly at this game.

I highly suggest the game and is an absolute essential game!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Are the slowdowns on the PSP version as bad as they say?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:05 pm

I don't remember there being any slow down. But I've not played it on PSP in quite awhile and if I go that route this time, it will likely be on Vita, so that may not be the same thing.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:11 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Are the slowdowns on the PSP version as bad as they say?

It's mainly an issue during spell animations. It wasn't a game killer for me - it's hardly like it's a fast paced game anyway.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:48 am

So I'm just over an hour in and I think I already broke the game. I'll have to parlay this brokenness into future brokenness, but I haven't taken advantage of game mechanics this quickly since I played FFVIII.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to RPG