Level up here
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor - 8/1-10/1

by alienjesus Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:19 pm

TEKTORO wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Has anyone played the Saturn sequel? How does it compare?

Have you played the first or looking into which to play?

Cause I've played both so many times and they are great imo.

I beat the first quite a while ago.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Whoo-Hoo! Count me in for Beyond Oasis! Beat the game once, and that was years ago on the Sega Channel.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

alienjesus wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:

I think it's worth a play with some improvement if not more of what the first was, I liked both equally actually but those damn Saturn prices are ridiculous. I wouldn't pay today's asking price unfortunately, $35-40 tops sounds more reasonable but then again it wasn't always the easiest game to track down. Sorry my comparison is so vague but if you liked the first and want more then check it out. I'm a sucker for games like this such as Alundra, Landstalker etc so I feel it's worthy quality game.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Time for another story, kids, of how I obtained a copy of the game!

So, in the early, Wild West-days of eBay, I bid on and won a Sega Saturn. I got the shipment, but a few of the games weren't actually Saturn games, but 3DO games. On top of that, there were 3DO controllers as well. In the interim, the sellers had found the couple of leftover games... which just happened to be Legend of Oasis and Shining the Holy Ark. So I let them know that I would be shipping back the 3DO stuff, and they needed to send me the two games they'd found. They did, and all was well.

I think I was pretty forceful about it, too, which is not my usual modus operandi. But I had the sneaking suspicion I was getting taken for a (small) ride.

Dang it, if this was about a Dreamcast, I could drop the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 bomb. Aw, heck, might as well anyway, close enough.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 pm

loaded this up. Not sure I'm liking it. Sprites are HUGE. Combat feels awkward. We'll see...
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:56 pm

alienjesus wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:

I played through Legend of Oasis around the end of last year, and would say that it does not compare especially favorably to the first game. Graphically, it looks incredible, but the gameplay just doesn't feel as good, and it's difficult for me to really say why. It's a fairly good game on its own, I just wouldn't break the bank for it.

These were apparently my thoughts about it after finishing it:
"This game would have really benefited from some maps. Heard it said that this game is short, and the puzzles are super difficult, but I didn't find either to be true. Didn't enjoy the beginning of the game too much. I did quite enjoy it during the middle portion, though. Then, after getting Airl, it just slowed to a crawl, and became a bit frustrating for me to play. The combat is okay, but can be really frustrating. A fairly good game--amazing graphics--but not something I'd really ever want to revisit; unlike the original."
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 am

I might be jumping on Beyond Oasis with you guys, if it's really as short as 7 hours. I do recall playing this game many, many years ago, but I stopped short of beating it. I can't recall right now why that was.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 am

Exhuminator wrote:I do recall playing this game many, many years ago, but I stopped short of beating it. I can't recall right now why that was.

As for me, I blame the schools.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm

I fired this up at 3:30am after watching The Do- Over (Adam Sandler and David Spade), but fell asleep after playing the first battle. Gonna go again tonight, can't believe I started usually would of just went to bed after movie and after a full day of my normal tiring routine. Lol

So can't say I didn't think about ya guys! Liking that Metal Slug is running this month too nice pair of together games this month.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Skipped the story and played until the first boss (crab thing). I got easily crushed. I wasn't really trying, just testing the game out.
I think I will start for real tonight, I'm just not digging the controls. Also, any suggestions on beating the first boss?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Return to RPG