Best re-entry C or J RPG

Level up here
marurun

Best re-entry C or J RPG

Post by marurun »

So, I used to play RPGs all the time, but lately they just take up so much time, and there's usually some crafting or collecting or mini-game that distracts from the core, or lots of grinding, or too much dialogue that tells too little story. But I still love RPGs, I have just been burned enough that I can't force myself to sit down to them again, because it's a gamble.

This is where all of you come in. I need a recommendation for either an iPhone or Steam/PC RPG, CRPG or JRPG style, that I can use as a re-entry point, to re-learn how to appreciate this genre I used to love. I already own a bunch, but I'm afraid to start playing. What do I do?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Best re-entry C or J RPG

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Cthulhu Saves the World. It is genuinely funny and not very long. Also, it is only $1.99.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'll second this. And then you can pick up Cosmic Star Heroine when it drops in the not too distant future (by the same devs).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

MrPopo wrote:I'll second this. And then you can pick up Cosmic Star Heroine when it drops in the not too distant future (by the same devs).

Yeah Zeboyd guys are awesome. I have kept in touch with Bill after the podcast/RPGamer interviews and CSH is looking like it has a lot of potential.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I hope CSH ends up being the game that recaptures the spark of Chrono Trigger. I mean, Black Sigil on DS came so close...

Speaking of CT, nothin' wrong with revisiting that. ;)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, I make sure Cthulhu is installed so when I have an inclination I can dive in. Thanks!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.