Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most?

Level up here

Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most

Action RPG
53%
Tactical Strategy
37%
Turn Based (Traditional)
11%
MMO
No votes
Roguelike
No votes

Total votes: 19

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most?

Post by noiseredux »

Sorta with Popo on this one.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Hm, not sure any quite hit it...

I mean, most of my gaming time still goes to FFXI, but it's pre-WoW, and a lot of what I like about it at this point is not represented in the majority of newer MMOs that key off of that. Those...I may play for a bit, maybe to cap, but then get bored and/or not keen on forced group structure, even if other aspects are enjoyable. Either way, I haven't stuck with 'em, so I'm not sure I'd necessarily say MMOs in general.

Generally, probably more to the action side than turn based, but practically speaking I'd rather have room to role play than focus only on combat style or difficulty. Probably more of the games I've really gotten into have skewed towards action, but I wouldn't say that was the key thing.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Xeogred wrote:Roguelike, assuming like Diablo or whatever, are fun for about a week or two to me. Then I get bored and regret I played them.

Diablo is like a Rogue-ARPG fusion, IMO.
Just like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.
Hard to classify some.

And what about Eye of the Beholder? I probably wouldn't be a dungeon crawler fan without the Action elements to draw me in.

I guess ARPG for me, but it's hard to ignore the other time sinks I've played.
...just another lost soul...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Dungeon Crawlers like Etrian Odyssey should probably be an option on the list, even though in many ways they're still just turn based RPGs.

I probably prefer SRPGs myself, but I'm fine with most RPG subgenres. Roguelikes are generally not for me though.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Definitelt strategy/tactical RPGs for me. I find myself playing more of them than the others.
Tempest
16-bit

Post by Tempest »

While most of my favourite RPGs - Panzer Dragoon Saga, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Final Fantasy IX - are turns-based, I find I enjoy the gameplay of action-RPGs, like the Diablo and Baldur's Gate series, more. Sure it's a bit mindless, simply tapping away at the attack or magic buttons, but the same could be said for turns-based games - especially the FF series where you grind through the same fight over and over by tapping one button repeatedly with little thought or challenge. In this respect, I find action RPGs flow better as opposed to the step-like walk a few steps-easy battle-walk a few steps-easy battle-rinse and repeat formula of most turns based RPGs.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I would say that action RPG is my favorite but most of them just aren't good so i have to go with tactical RPG's. I espicially like the ones that give you lot of customizations like Disgaea.