Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most?

Level up here

Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most

Action RPG
53%
Tactical Strategy
37%
Turn Based (Traditional)
11%
MMO
No votes
Roguelike
No votes

Total votes: 19

Soldier Blue
128-bit

Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most?

Post by Soldier Blue »

For me: action RPG all the way, and I consider myself an expert on them. I love the fast pace of combat more than anything and I generally avoid turn based RPGS. What about you guys?

Also let me know if I should add a subgenre
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Which RPG sub-genre do you enjoy the most?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've got a huge hard on for SRPGs, so that's what I said, but it's REALLY close for me between that and a traditional JRPG.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Action. In these last few years my attention has shifted from standard turn-based JRPGs to action-RPGs. Retro ARPGs are generally nice and short and rarely seem to be as grind-heavy. Also: Ys Book I & II.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I picked action rpg, I used to be a big fan of traditional and stategy rpgs but now I have less time for gaming and I don't want to grind or spend alot of time planning out one battle. I really find myself just enjoying other games with lite rpg elements.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

This is tough. Mainly because I like both turn-based and action-RPGs. I mean, my favorite RPG of all time (Chrono Trigger) is turn-based, as is my favorite series (Dragon Quest). But more and more, I find myself appreciating the more visceral nature of action-RPGs.

I think I'm just going to push on this one.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

This is something I've been thinking of a lot lately. I can enjoy JRPG's and SRPG's, but the level of agency you feel just smashing in a bad-guy's face in an ARPG is just so satisfying, and it makes grinding so much easier.

To be honest though, some of the most fun I've had has been in alternative-RPG's, those which really mess with the formula. I loved the hell out of Riviera, and am currently really enjoying Baten Kaitos. Both of which I'd say are definitely RPG's, but those that don't really fit into traditional sub-genres.

On a side note, I'm also really looking forward to when Knights in the Nightmare and Emerald Dragon get here in the mail. More alt-RPG fun :mrgreen:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

I can't decide. I have played a variety of all four, but I guess the more I play WRPGs, the more they impress me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It just depends. I'm one of the grumpy guys that has been yelling for the last two gens that turn based console JRPG's aren't dead, and I wish they were still coming out. I'm always up for a good turn based JRPG.

In the end though I probably lean more towards the action side of things, with games like Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, and more recently, the Souls series, all being absolutely perfect in terms of gameplay to me. Doesn't get more fun than this stuff.

MMO's I hate.

Roguelike, assuming like Diablo or whatever, are fun for about a week or two to me. Then I get bored and regret I played them.

I've played some great strategy/tactical games that I love, like the Arc the Lad series, Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, and so on, but it takes a lot of willpower for me to approach this side of the genre. They are always huge singular time sinks, as in the battles are always going to take pretty long. In comparison ARPG's and traditional turn based feel a little more casual and are things you can put down a bit easier, usually.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

It's kind of a 50/50 split with me with action-RPG/traditional-turn based. I love both, and both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think at this time in my life though, action-RPG probably has the edge right now. Mainly due to having less time to play games and action-RPGs are over quicker than turn-based (generally speaking) RPGs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The more math I can throw at an RPG, the better. So SRPG and traditional RPG tend to be my favorites. Action has too much "manual dexterity" involved.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.