20%
Voiced
40%
Both equally
40%

Total votes : 10
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Which do you prefer in a RPG..Silent Protagonist or Voiced?

by Soldier Blue Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:30 am

I struggle with this question constantly and wanted to know which you guys would choose.

Obviously with a Silent Protagonist, more often than not you are the one making the decisions so maybe the experience can feel more organic? On the flip side of the coin you won't get to her a Protagonist voiced so sometimes it can feel a bit empty.
I think when done right, ultimately, I like both equally, but it is interesting to think about. Oddly enough though there are times where I think I would prefer one or the other though.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Which do you prefer in a RPG..Silent Protagonist or Voic

by Xeogred Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:15 am

It depends on the game. For text based games of the old I don't mind either way, but I find it fairly awkward and inconsistent with newer games where characters are voiced yet the main character is mute. I might be one of the only ones that thinks like this, but I don't like the "you are the avatar" focus (a lot of WRPG's seem to be on this), and would rather the main character be his/her own compelling person that I can figure out and watch throughout whatever game it is. I'm all for imagination and putting myself in another world, but for gaming I'd rather be told the story, than tell it myself.

It can be case by case though. Because of Obsidian's awesome writing, I don't totally mind that the main character in Fallout New Vegas is mute, yet I probably wouldn't mind if they talked either. I was a rare fan of that change to Fallout 4, giving the character a voice. Didn't bug me at all.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:18 am

With modern RPGs, I enjoy the ones that give me multiple dialogue choices for my protagonist to choose from. I like to have agency over their personality.

With classic 8/16-bit RPGs, I still like for the protagonist to have scripted lines and actually eschew some semblance of personality. The worst protagonist to me is the mute amnesiac trope.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 am

Silent. With only a small framework of a story that is fleshed out by the player's own imagination. Think of the original Final Fantasy or Ys.
Ack

by Ack Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:38 am

This depends partly on the subgenre. For an action RPG or many WRPGs, I like silent protagonists. For a strategy RPG or JRPG, I prefer "voiced," though not necessarily audio tracks to reinforce this.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 am

For me it depends on how large the supporting cast is. When a game has a decently sized cast then the protagonist being mute doesn't matter, as the rest of the party picks up the slack.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Depends on the game. If the main character is supposed to be a cipher for the player, then silent, otherwise give him some personality.

I mean, my favorite RPG of all time has a mute protagonist. I don't think I need to restate what that game is.

Now voiced vs. non-voiced... that's a whole different issue. If you can't nail the voice acting, keep 'em quiet. A game like Baten Kaitos, where the voice acting is hideous, you want them to be silent. It's also why I've never been bothered by the lack of voice acting in Zelda games.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:35 pm

I wanted Mario voiced in SMRPG, because I was used to playing other RPGs that had voiced protagonists at the time. In hindsight, I'm glad they kept him quiet.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:57 pm

ExedExes wrote:I wanted Mario voiced in SMRPG, because I was used to playing other RPGs that had voiced protagonists at the time. In hindsight, I'm glad they kept him quiet.

Oh, definitely. The transformation pantomime was genius. And I still enjoy the "Italian" babble of the Mario & Luigi games.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:05 pm

It's hard to be blanket about it, but I prefer voiced myself. And I consider it still voiced if you choose what the player would say, but you don't actually hear it.

I know a lot of times the idea is that the character is you and if it is voiced it will take you out of it or something. Which I don't buy.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Return to RPG