Level up here
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - 4/01-6

by Sarge Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:07 pm

I am slowly playing around 30-45 minutes a night on this. It's still as good as I remember, but as Exhuminator pointed out, the towns are pretty samey. Other than that, though, the battle system's competent, and the Zelda-style puzzles have always been a draw for me. I'm up to Parcelyte currently.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:54 am

Sarge wrote:I am slowly playing around 30-45 minutes a night on this. It's still as good as I remember, but as Exhuminator pointed out, the towns are pretty samey. Other than that, though, the battle system's competent, and the Zelda-style puzzles have always been a draw for me. I'm up to Parcelyte currently.

That's probably the only tiiiiny gripe I have with Lufia II. The towns really have a Dragon Quest-y feel in that the music is most always the same as well as the visuals, so it kinda ruins some of the cinematics of the events that happen in each town.

Have you gotten to any of the Lights Out-style puzzles with bombs yet? Those always take me freaking forever for some reason XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:03 am

I put a little more time into Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals last night. I calculated that I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it based on glancing over a walkthrough. I'm gonna push through and finish this one so I can review it proper. Based on reading around on various internet forums, it looks like LCotS is really low key... not too many folks actually played it, let alone knew about it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:28 am

Well, folks, I'm done. Lufia & The Fortress of Doom is complete. Chalk one more RPG victory up to me. I posted my thoughts in the Games Beaten 2016 thread.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 am

So I did a couple of attempts at a full Ancient Cave run this weekend. They both got me to the early 70's before I ran into an Archfiend fight and got trashed. I don't recall having this many problems with them before, so I need to rethink my strategy.

The first one was very fruitful. I snagged an early Sizzle Sword and a late Mega Axe, so I'm set up pretty well for runs. I actually never found a healing spell, but I did have three of the four top end elemental magics and Absorb, so I was able to make my way through with a high powered offense. And I discovered that you can still escape from battles even if your only party member is paralyzed. This happened in the aforementioned Archfiend fight; I used my Providence immediately after I got out of battle.

The second one started off really promising. The first four chests had Strong, Rally, and Absorb, and I got Stronger in the first few floors. By the time I was done I had Champion and two of the top end elemental spells. However, I didn't have good luck with Blue Chests; there were only a couple and they only had crappy gear. But again, I got utterly wrecked by the Archfiends. This time I died, but it wasn't a big deal. I had actually accidentally fed my Sky Whip to my capsule monster, and since I didn't pick up anything good from Blue Chests I just turned off the game without saving.

But man, those Archfiends. Gotta figure out my strategy for them.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:35 am

That's a pretty good summary of the first Lufia. It really is a transition point between the NES RPG and the SNES RPG, in terms of the mechanical user experience.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Hell yes! I beat the Ancient Cave today!

I finally achieved what felt like enough Blue Chest gear to have a good shot at being able to make it all the way to the bottom with some lucky spell drops. This was another run where I didn't get Strong until floor 50 or so. Fortunately my weaponry and armor was strong enough that I was able to mostly steamroll up to that point. The small amount of healing items I picked up was enough to keep me going. I also snagged Firebird and Ice Valk, so I had a good amount of magic damage for the later floors.

I was fortunate to only run into a couple of Archfiends, and never a pair of them. And my luck with the metallic dragons was also quite good; I was able to dodge most of them and the ones I couldn't were guarding the bottom of a door I was coming through from the top, so instant back attack. And since I had Destroy I was able to pretty reliably kill one of the two before they could do any real damage to me. Still, the last several floors was mostly dodging enemies and making a beeline to the bottom.

The Master Jelly went down as quickly as you'd expect with my party. I was using Dekar, Guy, Maxim, Selan, and picked up a Dekar Blade during the run. The Master died on the second round to Octo-Strike.

I also got all the Iris Treasures (got the last one a run before this one), so that whole sidequest is complete.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Sun May 01, 2016 9:58 am

I got the crown back from Berty and Bart last night.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 01, 2016 9:29 pm

MrPopo wrote:Hell yes! I beat the Ancient Cave today!

That is seriously impressive. I'm not sure if everyone reading what you wrote understood the gravitas of you doing so. But I do, hats off man.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks. I think I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 hours saved to the cart plus another two failed runs (so 12 more hours not saved) in order to collect the gear I needed and make the final run.

I then went and cheesed the hell out of the Egg Dragon because I'm not on Retry mode, so the amount of level grinding to make the fight reasonably beatable was far more than I want to do for a game I've already beaten.
Return to RPG