Together RPG - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - 4/01-6/01

Level up here
MrPopo

Together RPG - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - 4/01-6/01

Post by MrPopo »

It's that time again! I hope you all enjoyed your time with Fire Emblem because now it's time for a real gem of a game.

Although it is the second game in the series, Lufia II is the first game chronologically (indeed, Lufia & the Fortress of Doom starts in the final dungeon of Lufia II and spoils the ending). Additionally, Lufia II is much more polished than its predecessor; Lufia still has a lot of NES RPG conventions while Lufia II benefits from several years of learning on how to do a good user experience in an SNES RPG.

Lufia II is a turn-based JRPG with a rather unique design for its dungeon crawling. The mechanics of movement through dungeons takes some cues from the roguelike genre; all enemies are visible on the map and they only move when you take an action. This can be manipulated to get back attacks or to dodge around enemies. Additionally the game has a large number of Zelda-esque puzzles to progress through the dungeons or to get treasure. It makes for a more interesting experience instead of just facing random encounters until you get to the boss.

Combat involves a party of up to four characters against enemies. It is standard turn based where everyone selects their action at the start and then it plays out according to your battle speeds. The game features physical attacks and magic attacks, but something unique to the series is a limit break-esque mechanic called IP. You gain IP as you take damage at a fairly generous rate, so you can expect to fill a bar regularly. You use IP to activate skills of your equipped items. Not all items have a skill available and different skills require different percentages of your IP bar. Many of these skills are unique effects you can't get elsewhere and it adds a degree of strategy to how you outfit your characters; it's not always advantageous to use the statistically best piece of gear.

The final unique thing to the game is the Ancient Cave, a challenge dungeon consisting of 100 randomly generated floors. At the start you are stripped of all your items, spells, and levels and get a stock of 10 potions. The dungeon is strewn about with treasure chests to reequip your party and regain magic and a bunch of monsters to get your levels back. There are also occasional full heal or full magic tiles to keep you in the fight. If you die you are kicked out of the dungeon and your party will be back to the way they were before starting. There is also an escape item that can be gained around the 20th floor in case things are going south. The reason you would use this item before the end is that in addition to regular chests there are blue treasure chests. The items from blue chests are not removed from your inventory when you start the Ancient Cave and many are quite powerful statistically. A few of the blue chest items can also be found in regular gameplay but most are unique. You must use the escape item to keep blue chest items you have opened in that particular run. Beating all 100 floors is one of the biggest optional challenges in the game.

So I look forward to seeing how everyone of you enjoys this one. It's definitely one of the lesser known RPGs for the system but is a real hidden gem.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - 4/01-6

Post by Markies »

Lufia II is one of my favorite games of all time and definitely in my Top 10 Favorite Games of All Time. It is my go to game when talking about Hidden Gems. It is a perfect mixture of Zelda Puzzles with Dragon Quest RPG. The story is fascinating and the game play is some of the best on the system. With games like Final Fantasy VI & Secret of Mana on the system, Lufia II ranks right along with them.

I don't think there has been a re-release since the original on the Super Nintendo and the cart is rather expensive nowadays as it's at least $70. I implore anybody to play this game. It is utterly fantastic and high on my list of games to replay. I want to play through the game fully again and I never did that 100 Floor Random Dungeon. I only played it once and that seems criminally low.

For somebody who talks about it better and the video that got me obsessed with the show, may I present Roo's 16 Bit Gems Review of the Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ZwINelVSo
Ack

Post by Ack »

Lufia II is actually the second RPG I ever beat on the SNES, back when I was about 12 years old in middle school. I had already found victory in Final Fantasy VI, but other RPG endings eluded me despite the number I played at the time. Then came Lufia II, which I pushed through to victory one rainy afternoon after attending a basketball game one of my brothers was playing in.

The victory stayed with me, and I raved about the game for years, especially after finding a complete copy for sale at a nearby game store while in college. Friends wondered why the game was selling for $50, but the few of us who had played it knew. I didn't manage to pick up my copy until much later, but I have been touting it's virtues ever since.

Funny enough, I actually have never beaten the original, which is why I intend to spend this month clearing Lufia & The Fortress of Doom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

My mission is to beat the Ancient Cave, and then if I have enough time I'll also try and beat the Egg Dragon. Since my cart copy was never beaten by the previous owner I only have access to New Game, so I'll have to play through a good chunk to get to the Ancient Cave. So I'll also make sure I beat Gades the first time.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm in.

Ack wrote:Lufia II is actually the second RPG I ever beat on the SNES, back when I was about 12 years old in middle school. I had already found victory in Final Fantasy VI, but other RPG endings eluded me despite the number I played at the time. Then came Lufia II, which I pushed through to victory one rainy afternoon after attending a basketball game one of my brothers was playing in.

The victory stayed with me, and I raved about the game for years, especially after finding a complete copy for sale at a nearby game store while in college. Friends wondered why the game was selling for $50, but the few of us who had played it knew. I didn't manage to pick up my copy until much later, but I have been touting it's virtues ever since.

Funny enough, I actually have never beaten the original, which is why I intend to spend this month clearing Lufia & The Fortress of Doom.

Haha, nice story. I don't have vivid memories of playing Lufia II (I only recently obtained the cart, I did beat the game via emulation years ago) but I do remember Lufia I quite well. I was going through a rough patch - financially and otherwise - in my 20s and was crashing in my parents' basement for awhile (just like a typical video gamer amirite?). They went on a cruise or some shit for a couple of weeks and I made it my goal to complete Lufia and read Stephen King's Under the Dome in their absence. I was successful.

Oh, and I'm going to approach this one like I did Illusion of Gaia - I'll be playing both Lufia and Lufia II.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh, and I'm going to approach this one like I did Illusion of Gaia - I'll be playing both Lufia and Lufia II.

Follow it up with Legend Returns? It's a solid GBC RPG.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Not the worst idea ever. I'll see how I feel after the first two.

True story - Lufia: The Legend Returns was the first Game Boy Color game I ever purchased. And it was by accident - I thought I was buying Lufia: The Ruins of Lore.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Not the worst idea ever. I'll see how I feel after the first two.

True story - Lufia: The Legend Returns was the first Game Boy Color game I ever purchased. And it was by accident - I thought I was buying Lufia: The Ruins of Lore.

You attempted to choose poorly. But you chose wisely.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'll pass, since I played it a few years and it's still a bit fresh in my mind.

I didn't beat it though, I think the simplicity of the story and some things got to me after awhile, and I wasn't a fan of the weird Pokemon/monster catching aspects? haha not sure, forgot some of those details.

Otherwise yeah, it was a pretty cool game with a lot of charm, and I loved the Zelda-esque dungeons.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

I'm in too.

Great game, but some of those puzzles really test your mind.