Level up here
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by Sarge Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 pm

The PC version of The Last Remnant is also pretty cheap. It's a bit different from the 360 version, though, in that you can use as many leaders as you want in your Unions as opposed to generic scrubs. There's a corresponding difficulty increase to compensate, though. And it's not like the 360 version was easy!

I have the PC version in my Steam account... but I actually haven't played it yet. Mainly because I was way too deep into the 360 one to start over!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Rydon
24-bit
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 pm
Location: TN

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by Rydon Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Good to know on the PC version. I just grabbed the 360 version because it was so cheap and a console exclusive on the 360. Are there any other 360 "exclusive" RPGs worth grabbing? I am trying to get them now while the price is low. I have The Witcher 2 and Fable 2 on my list.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14375
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by Xeogred Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Sarge wrote:The PC version of The Last Remnant is also pretty cheap. It's a bit different from the 360 version, though, in that you can use as many leaders as you want in your Unions as opposed to generic scrubs. There's a corresponding difficulty increase to compensate, though. And it's not like the 360 version was easy!

I have the PC version in my Steam account... but I actually haven't played it yet. Mainly because I was way too deep into the 360 one to start over!

I played about 10 hours and it was fantastic. Uses the 360/Xbone controller perfectly. Dual audio and better framerate/resolutions obviously. But yeah, I played the 360 version originally and beat that one. I would have gotten every achievement if it wasn't for some weird choice mid game that if answered incorrectly(?) locks you out of two sidequests that were worth 250 GS each or something, lmfao.

Anyways seriously folks, this game is incredible and had such a fresh and amazing take on traditional JRPG turn based combat. Instead of controlling single characters, you control full squads at once. Usually get 2-3 squads per battle.

The game had amazing music too. Something about some of the stuff going on in this track makes me think of Secret of Mana, but on steroids or something. I think it's those arpeggios! One of the final boss themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaFsudO46s

The story gets the job done. Overall it felt like FFXII, but with better pacing that keeps you interested enough until the end.

Definitely up there with Lost Odyssey for best JRPG's last gen. Maybe even better. This was seriously one of the best blind purchase/experiences I've had in the last several years of gaming.

I have not played any SaGa games though haha, but I know this game comes from that team and lead designer.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:43 am

Xeogred wrote:
Sarge wrote:The PC version of The Last Remnant is also pretty cheap. It's a bit different from the 360 version, though, in that you can use as many leaders as you want in your Unions as opposed to generic scrubs. There's a corresponding difficulty increase to compensate, though. And it's not like the 360 version was easy!

I have the PC version in my Steam account... but I actually haven't played it yet. Mainly because I was way too deep into the 360 one to start over!

I played about 10 hours and it was fantastic. Uses the 360/Xbone controller perfectly. Dual audio and better framerate/resolutions obviously. But yeah, I played the 360 version originally and beat that one. I would have gotten every achievement if it wasn't for some weird choice mid game that if answered incorrectly(?) locks you out of two sidequests that were worth 250 GS each or something, lmfao.

Anyways seriously folks, this game is incredible and had such a fresh and amazing take on traditional JRPG turn based combat. Instead of controlling single characters, you control full squads at once. Usually get 2-3 squads per battle.

The game had amazing music too. Something about some of the stuff going on in this track makes me think of Secret of Mana, but on steroids or something. I think it's those arpeggios! One of the final boss themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaFsudO46s

The story gets the job done. Overall it felt like FFXII, but with better pacing that keeps you interested enough until the end.

Definitely up there with Lost Odyssey for best JRPG's last gen. Maybe even better. This was seriously one of the best blind purchase/experiences I've had in the last several years of gaming.

I have not played any SaGa games though haha, but I know this game comes from that team and lead designer.


Considering it's only 4 bucks, you've definitely sold me on The Last Remnant now. I'm always on a hunt for cheap 360 exclusives worth having. Help to populate that lonely 360-shelf compared to the monster-PS3 shelf Xp

Now that Riviera's beaten and I'm moving on to Rocket Slime 3 for handhelds, I figured I'd come back with a list of console games (previous arrangements of console time has changed).

Baten Kaitos (GC)
Parasite Eve (PS1)
Shadow Hearts (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
7th Saga (SNES)
Secrets of Evermore (SNES)

Eager to see your opinions :3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20942
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by Ack Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 am

Few of us here have bested The 7th Saga. But if you successfully manage to complete it, your insides will be chrome, and you will ride the highways of Valhalla with us.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18981
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:10 pm

The last two on the list are my favorites. Of those two I highly recommend The 7th Saga. It's a strange melancholy atmospheric JRPG and unlike anything else you'll find on the SNES.
User avatar
TSTR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by TSTR Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:35 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The last two on the list are my favorites. Of those two I highly recommend The 7th Saga. It's a strange melancholy atmospheric JRPG and unlike anything else you'll find on the SNES.

this sounds pertinent to my interests
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by Exhuminator Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:01 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Baten Kaitos (GC)
Parasite Eve (PS1)
Shadow Hearts (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
7th Saga (SNES)
Secrets of Evermore (SNES)

I'll only talk about the ones I've spent real time with.

Parasite Eve, I've finished, and is a unique JRPG with as many bad ideas as it has good ones. It's totally worth playing, but doesn't quite live up to being a bona fide classic.

Shadow Hearts, I've finished, and is an excellent totally worth your time JRPG that is wholly unique and highly entertaining. I consider it a classic, and the best game in this list.

Okami, I put about 20 hours in, and at first I enjoyed it, but the game starts to really drag and for me got plain boring. It's a great 15 hour game stretched out to a 40 hour merely good one.

Secret of Evermore, I got halfway through this many many years ago. I quit playing it because I didn't enjoy the dungeon design or story. It's not terrible, it's just kind of a middle of the road action-RPG at best.

So out of all those, my vote obviously goes to Shadow Hearts.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Okami, I put about 20 hours in, and at first I enjoyed it, but the game starts to really drag and for me got plain boring. It's a great 15 hour game stretched out to a 40 hour merely good one.


That's exactly the impression of Okami I got the last time I tried to get through it, many years ago Xp

I beat Orochi and I was like, "So that's it, right? Wait, there's more? But, only like a little until the credits, right?" I ended up being blown away when I got online and saw I was only like a THIRD through the game. Sadly that's a critisism I can level at Okamiden as well, but at least with all of the different partners, it does change things up a lot more than Okami seemed to.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14375
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: The People's Choice Thread

by Xeogred Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:32 am

Secret of Evermore is amazing, but it's different than Mana. The weird trading quest in the middle of it is pretty annoying too last I remember. Otherwise, awesome simple game with Jeremy Soule SNES music.
Return to RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest