Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

mas wrote:I'm going to try out chrono trigger.

Good.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:King's Field is a casual series for wuss gamers, it's a piece of cake.

Glad to see you're finally acknowledging your casualness.

Speaking of which, Popo, when should we expect your epic Daggerfall playthrough to begin?

That's a really good question. Once I finish Fire Emblem Fates I plan on finishing my halfway through Lagrange Point and then I want to take on another old PC RPG. I might do Might & Magic II or I might do Arena (I want to do Arena before Daggerfall).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'd like to hear your thoughts on Arena more, at least right now. I'm thinking about doing a playthrough of a few older PC RPGs, and Arena was in consideration among a few others.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
mas wrote:I'm going to try out chrono trigger.

Good.

Good warm up before playing the superior Secret of Mana. :P
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Secret of Mana, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, or Chrono Trigger. All good choices for beginner imo. Soul Blazer might be the easiest out of the lot.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Try Dragon Warrior (NES) for about 10-15 minutes and Final Fantasy (NES) for about 10-15 minutes. Once you're sufficiently warmed up and introduced to the console beginnings of JRPG's play any of the superior SNES RPG's thst have been listed and after you're bored play TMNT IV and Sunset Riders. I mean RPG's are Press one button and wait, press a button and wait, read a bunch, press another button, etc...

**I'm being snarky to Mas on purpose**

Personally I really like Golden Sun, Mario RPG, Paper Mario (and Thousand-Year Door), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and FF 2/3/Mystic Quest. They'd all be great places to start.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:I'd like to hear your thoughts on Arena more, at least right now. I'm thinking about doing a playthrough of a few older PC RPGs, and Arena was in consideration among a few others.

I've only played a little bit of Arena very casually. From what I saw it was missing a lot of the things that came to define the series such as building your class and training skills; it still uses traditional experience points. It's also super large thanks to dynamic random generation (as opposed to Daggerfall where they procedurally generated the shitton of content once).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

mas wrote:Ok well thank you for all the replies. I'm going to try out chrono trigger.

An excellent choice, if I do say so myself. *adjusts monocle*
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

My suggestion for SNES is Lufia & The Fortress of Doom

For Genesis: Phantasy Star IV
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Sano wrote:My suggestion for SNES is Lufia & The Fortress of Doom

God no, Lufia 2 is much better for a first timer (and since it's a prequel you don't lose any story). Lufia & The Fortress of Doom has too many holdovers from the NES era.