BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:36 pm

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm going to go ahead and just throw Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 out there. Kind of light on a lot of the RPG elements but have enough complexity to be entertaining and to teach a newbie and excellent story, style, and music.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
MrEco
Next-Gen

by MrEco Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:19 am

Exhuminator wrote:King's Field.

Pffft, gimme a break.

You should start with King's Field 4

But no, seriously, I'd say one of the early Final Fantasy's is probably a good choice. Chrono Trigger might be good too like everyone else is saying, but I've not played it myself yet so I can't say for sure.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:37 am

I agree with Chrono Trigger. It will change your life.
Also, the game is available on PS1 (with load times), on DS, and SNES, so you have your choice.

I've played it on both SNES and PS1 and thoroughly enjoyed each time. SNES is preferred, but it is also cool unlocking stuff on PS1.
Next playthrough is on DS for me.

P.S. Super Mario RPG won't work with the Everdrive. Just fyi. Unless he intends to get the actual cart, it's an unfair recommendation.
...just another lost soul...
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 am

Final Fantasy IV, VI or VII would be my picks, leaning more towards VI. They all have easy to understand battle systems and none are particularly grind intensive nor are they 60+ hour slogs. Add in charming worlds, characters and stories coupled with great graphics and amazing soundtracks and you can't really go wrong.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:27 am

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was specifically made to draw in first timers. This RPG is made for beginners.

The gaming historian made a neat video on this game:
https://youtu.be/Lxl_-WPwA0A
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:43 am

Pokemon Yellow for the NES

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2478/

Or Earthbound Zero.
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:07 am

I started with Final Fantasy VI when I first got into JRPGs. That's not to say it was my first RPG(or really even my first JRPG), but it was the first one that really caught me up and got me interested in the genre as a whole. The game changed my perspective on video games and story representation within said games. But while I adore it, and while I consider it a rather easy game to play, there are some moments that definitely featured a learning curve. The first time a blitz maneuver must be performed, for instance, or finding the many secrets of the World of Ruin.

I'd say Chrono Trigger has less of a curve. There is really no need to grind ever, there isn't much about the game that I would consider complicated. The first time, just follow the plot as directed, and things will go fine. You can then go back if you want to explore the game fully. I'd say it's a better choice for a beginner.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:24 am

My first JRPG (at least the first one I finished) was Phantasy Star on the Master System. The first one I ever played was, I think, Final Fantasy VII.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Wish I could remember what my second RPG was... but that was back when I was super into emulation and rom hacking, I believe it was either Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, or Secret of Mana. The rest is history after those destroyed me and I got the PSX a bit late and basically played Final Fantasy VII-IX, Chrono Cross, etc back to back before high school hit, so I had all the time in the world to play chain reactions of enormous games.

Overall yeah, I think we can just all agree the SNES in general is the best place to start. Lots of great options and the SNES games were never too long too, usually in the 20-30 hour range.
Return to RPG