Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Level up here
mas
Next-Gen

Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Post by mas »

I'm going to go on vacation from work so it's a staycation in a few weeks. I figure I want to try my hands on a rpg to play. I have never played any traditional or jrpg. I want to try an easy one to learn. I should have my everdrives by then so I'll have snes, Genesis, and I own the nes everdrive. I also have ps1,2, dreamcast and Saturn.
So does anyone have any recommendations for me?
I do have marvel ultimate alliance and Xmen legends 1 and 2 but are those rpg's? If so maybe I should try those? Or should I try something less complex? Give me some suggestions to try out
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Post by Sarge »

I always recommend Chrono Trigger in these cases. This time will be no different. :)
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

They are rpgs but I would start with a jrpg, and chrono trigger is a good choice like Sarge mentioned or Final Fantasy IV. If you have access to a playstation, then Legend of Dragoon is a good choice as well
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Super Mario RPG (SNES) was my first.

To this day, my brain has been trained to instinctively hit the attack button an extra time in turn based RPG's to up my chances of getting that critical. True story.

I've gone back and replayed this game over the years and it still holds up, tons of charm, unique Mario story, looks great, it's a great package.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I agree that Super Mario RPG is also a good choice. In a lot of ways, it's a more action-oriented Chrono Trigger. I still stick with my original recommendation, but if you like Mario games, you can't go wrong with... well, actually, pretty much any in the series, Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi games.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

King's Field.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Exhuminator wrote:King's Field.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you fullheartedly unless this is truly a joke. I've seen your posts and as a guy who is still a newbie as far as I see it, that game is a horrible recommendation.

I'd recommend chrono, and golden sun. Golden sun on gba is great for a great easy-ish game with minimal grinding as far as I'm concerned(the only part I remember doing so or wishing i had was the final boss). Also take it for what you will but some of the recommendations listed here are on this page: http://gaminghistory101.com/2012/12/06/jrpg/ plus more I kinda want to try too if they really are recommended for beginners...I don't recall why I was looking at that(swear it was a bonesnapdeez link somewhere a month or so ago). Might be good for reference...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

King's Field is a casual series for wuss gamers, it's a piece of cake.

Since mas has SNES, a perfect "muh first JRPG" would be Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Exhuminator wrote:King's Field is a casual series for wuss gamers, it's a piece of cake.

Yeah....no I don't agree mister die from random enemies with one or two hits....I'm intrigued but I'd still say from you and everyone else's post it doesn't sound like a newbie game
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?