Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Level up here
Ack

Re: Want to try out a rpg. What's a first timer to try

Post by Ack »

I have a game for all of you filthy casuals. After I put up my list of possibilities for once I'm done with Dragonfall, I took some time to read up on the (few) suggestions I got, one of which was Inquisitor:

At over 100+ hours long, with an appalling difficulty curve and gameplay somewhere between Baldur's Gate and Diablo, I'm thinking that this is the ultimate "baby's first RPG."

Also, I don't know when I will get to it, but I admit that I do want to play this at some point.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I bought Inquisitor a few years back when it first hit GOG.

So far I've been too casual to actually play it though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Same. I have yet to play it. In fact, I don't know anyone who has played it. Has anyone here?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I played it for about 30 minutes. It was... well, that's not nearly enough time to make an informed decision, but I wasn't really impressed with what I saw. :P The combat seemed iffy, like a badly-implemented indie version of the Infinity Engine or something.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ack wrote:Same. I have yet to play it. In fact, I don't know anyone who has played it. Has anyone here?

I tried it a few years ago, buying it when I very first joined GOG, and although I enjoyed it, the only reason I stopped like half an hour in is because once I'd quit out of the game I couldn't access my saved games the next time I launched it. To the best I could tell, the game was broken, but it could've just been younger-self being stupid at computer things.

Vagrant Story is another game I've owned for a few years, but've never touched, although there's a reason for it. I did get it for a dollar, but it's the Japanese version, and I'd rather not have a game like that spoiled just because I'm too stupid to understand the subtleties in what people are saying. Same reason I still haven't really broken into Captain Rainbow (though that might get another try very soon). I mean, I'm plodding through Maple Story 3DS just fine, but there're a good few words I come to where I can't identify them :/
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

Heh, that just means it's even MORE suited to the casuals! I'm totally fighting for this in the next WRPG section of Together RPG, punks. Totally.

...or maybe I'd settle for a Popo run of it. Just saying.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

How many games is that now on your list of "I want Popo to play this instead of me"?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Just a couple at this point. I like to see you suffer.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Man Inquisitor looks weird. In development for 10 years? Guess that explains why it looks so "old."
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Man Inquisitor looks weird. In development for 10 years? Guess that explains why it looks so "old."

The game is immense, it's meaty as all hell. It started development back when Baldur's Gate became popular, and the developers aped the look. However they refused to dilute their original ideas in order to expedite completion of the project. Thus to incorporate the level of depth and complexity they wanted, yeah it took them 10 years to finish it. And another 3 years of translation on top to get it into English. Inquisitor is a labor of love.

As for Vagrant Story. That's legit my most favorite PS1 RPG of all time. I cannot recommend it enough. It's a very simple, easy, and short game any casual will adore.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.