Wild Arms?

Level up here
MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: Wild Arms?

Post by MrEco »

Alright, thanks for all the help everybody. So far it seems like the consensus is; 1 and 2 are solid but basic RPG's that don't use the wild west theme all that much, 3 is the all around "best" as it uses the wild west theme the most and still has the solid mechanics, 4 and 5 are kind of weird because of the battle system and the lack of polish in the 4th.

Alright, so, two more small questions, I'd be especially interested to hear Sarge's opinion since he seems to be the only person who's played the entire series. How much do 4 and 5 utilize the wild west theme compared to the 3rd game? And, more importantly, how connected is the story between each game in the series? For example, am I gonna have a hard time catching up if I skip the 4th game and go to 5?

As it stands right now I'll be playing 3, and if I enjoy it then going to 5. Then if I really want more I might check out 1 and 2. But 4 seems safe to skip entirely.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

My understanding is the games are like Final Fantasy; each one stands alone but there are some common thematic elements, like the wild west theme and being set on a planet called Felgaia and there being something in the game called an ARM.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The person I know with the most experience playing JRPGs of anyone I've ever met, tells me that the odd numbered Wild Arms are great, and the even numbered Wild Arms are bad.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I like the 255 items cheat in the first one it's actually useful. The hex battle system didn't appeal to me since I enjoyed the traditional style of RPGs.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The fourth game doesn't feel very Western at all. The fifth game has a bit more, but it's also got a lot of tech in it, which isn't out of the ordinary for the series. It's also really, really goofy at points, so if you're looking for realism, look elsewhere.

I do think it's safe to skip the fourth, as everything it does is done better in the fifth game, and the most "Western" is definitely the third. I think Exhuminator's friend's statement is probably pretty close to accurate, but if the battle system in the first game feels a little too slow or stale, I'd give Alter Code: F a shot in its place, especially if you end up liking Wild ARMs 3.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

Alright, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it everyone. Seems like my first plan is pretty solid on the order to play them.

I think I better nab 5 off of Ebay before it get's too pricey.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores