Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Together RPG - Fire Emblem - 2/01-4/01

by MrPopo Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:02 am

So far it has just as much new stuff as Conquest has over Birthright.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:08 am

Well since I'm having a love hate relationship with pokemon right now I decided to take a break and happened to take my 3ds with me to work and remember it on my breaks.. I suck at this game apparently I lost on the battle in Ch 5. I was so close too, I just couldn't move my other people quick enough to take down the wrymslayers...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:32 am

I made it to the path change and man this game is beyond messed up so far with the story. Not messed up to the point that it's bad but the whole family thing is a little....hard to process since no matter which way you look at it both families are kinda screwed up...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:51 pm

It's sheer grit and determination that's keeping me going in the first half of Monsho no Nazo, I believe. I really hate the battle maps. Often it's more luck than strategy that keeps some of my troops upright, and I hate what the developers consider to be a fun challenge. (Maybe they didn't think it would be fun; Maybe they just hated the thought of fun, and tried to subvert it with this game--.) Amazingly, it appears that the update actually did smooth over some frustrating elements from the Famicom version.

I managed to get Doga, Gordon, Ogma and Nabaal to level 20, and promoted them to General, Sniper and Heroes, respectively. A few other troops are almost to level 20, and ready for promotion, once I acquire more of the requisite items. I would think that might give me a leg up in the coming missions, but no. I'm sure the game will just throw a mountain of Heroes with lightning swords, and Generals with killer lances at me, with a bunch of Dragon Knights and Horsemen thrown in for good measure.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:33 pm

So you're doing the Book 1 stuff which is the remake of FE1 on the NES, right? If so, I have bad news, Book 2 which is FE3 proper actually does some stuff worse. They came up with the idea that mounted units dismount when indoors, losing their movement bonus and going to swords instead of lances. Also, there are zero axe users in Book 2, so every axe you get is to be sold for cash.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Correct. I'm playing the remake on the SFC because I'm sure I couldn't stomach the shitty artwork, and UI from the NES version.
Continuing on to the second volume isn't really something I've been considering, honestly. The dismounting thing has been true of the first volume as well, though. Also, I hate the fighter class, so not having any more of them is actually kind of a plus for me.
I was kind of hoping this game would be something resembling Stratego, perhaps. Instead, I feel like I got Checkers--. (Where Camus just destroys my Paladin in one turn, because apparently the Gladius is also a ranged weapon, and deals ungodly damage, and I should know that because it's a unique weapon that hasn't appeared in the game up to this point!)
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:34 pm

The early stuff is very rough; no two ways about it. I think the series doesn't really hit its stride until Seisen no Keifu, and Thracia is where it gets most of the modern stuff.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:20 pm

So Revelations feels a bit rougher around the edges than Birthright and Conquest. In terms of map design it's good; once you're past the first six they've only reused a handful of maps from the other two (and each was guilty of the same) and for the most part they are new. The ones they reused have had subtly different gimmicks as well. Where it feels rough is in the recruitment. While who you recruit when makes sense from a story perspective in many cases characters are severely underleveled for no good reason. The one that sticks out the most is Odin; you get him on map 17 at level 10. by comparison, in Conquest you get him on map 8 (with the path branch at map 6) and I think he's 8ish? The enemies are a mix of level 1 promoted and level 15-18 unpromoted on this map. The other people that join with him are a mix of promoted units and units in the mid teens.

The other thing that's going to annoy the hell out of me is that you get way too many characters compared to the deploy limit again. And I already thought Conquest and Birthright had too many when you included the children. Seisen no Keifu has spoiled me with its being able to deploy all your characters (up to 24).
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm

MrPopo wrote:So Revelations feels a bit rougher around the edges than Birthright and Conquest. In terms of map design it's good; once you're past the first six they've only reused a handful of maps from the other two (and each was guilty of the same) and for the most part they are new. The ones they reused have had subtly different gimmicks as well. Where it feels rough is in the recruitment. While who you recruit when makes sense from a story perspective in many cases characters are severely underleveled for no good reason. The one that sticks out the most is Odin; you get him on map 17 at level 10. by comparison, in Conquest you get him on map 8 (with the path branch at map 6) and I think he's 8ish? The enemies are a mix of level 1 promoted and level 15-18 unpromoted on this map. The other people that join with him are a mix of promoted units and units in the mid teens.

The other thing that's going to annoy the hell out of me is that you get way too many characters compared to the deploy limit again. And I already thought Conquest and Birthright had too many when you included the children. Seisen no Keifu has spoiled me with its being able to deploy all your characters (up to 24).

Sounds like the problem I had playing through Awakening on Hard mode with Hardcore on and not allowing deaths. Once you get to recruiting the children it's just "Yay I've recruited you! Now into the barracks forever with you!"
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

My playthrough of the DS remake of FE3 was the worst in that regard; the cast list is ginormous and it's the only game where I've allowed multiple units to die mid game (not counting intentional deaths in the remake of FE1 to access bonus chapters) simply because I didn't give two shits about those particular units; it was usually someone I recruited mid mission who I was never going to use again so they were bait to draw enemies out of a defensive formation.
Return to RPG