Level up here
MrPopo

Re: How do you decide what to play?

by MrPopo Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Ack wrote:Nah, the problem is that it's going against nearly 20 years of WASD being ingrained(and repeatedly reinforced) in my brain. It's tough programming to break.

My solution was never to have WASD be my default control scheme in the first place.

Right click move forward!
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 am

I usually have a pretty clear idea of what I'm in the mood to play. But I did start this thing last year where if I'm not really sure what to play next, I bring up Metacritic's list of the best PC games of all time, go down the list and play the first one I come across that I haven't played (or played ENOUGH of) yet. Thanks to this method I finally loaded a save and pushed through to the end of Half-Life 2, experienced the recent indie darling Undertale, put even more time into GTA5...
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:44 pm

You know what might be really interesting? To come up with some kind of personal challenge or bounty system. Whenever folks are looking for a game, they submit a list of what they have and have others pick. Or conversely we use a buddy system where a designated person picks from the list for you.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Ack wrote:You know what might be really interesting? To come up with some kind of personal challenge or bounty system. Whenever folks are looking for a game, they submit a list of what they have and have others pick. Or conversely we use a buddy system where a designated person picks from the list for you.

The buddy system seems like it'd need a safe word if you choose a buddy like Exhuminator.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:54 pm

MrPopo wrote:The buddy system seems like it'd need a safe word if you choose a buddy like Exhuminator.

Nah, I'd just recommend breezy casual stuff anybody could have a good time with.
KING'S FIELD. ALL DAY. EVERY DAY.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:55 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Ack wrote:You know what might be really interesting? To come up with some kind of personal challenge or bounty system. Whenever folks are looking for a game, they submit a list of what they have and have others pick. Or conversely we use a buddy system where a designated person picks from the list for you.

The buddy system seems like it'd need a safe word if you choose a buddy like Exhuminator.

Yeah, there would have to be a few rules I suppose. For one, this is why I said "pick from what they have" as opposed to "pick anything." This would be to prevent folks from making others go out of their way to procure expensive or rare games when they have plenty to play already. I'd hate to see somebody told to go buy Earthbound. But if you own a game that is considered brutally hard...well, it is still fair game. You do have it in your backlog. And if we are only allowed to pick from a preset list of say...5 choices, then you could always leave off the harder stuff that goes beyond your skill level.

Also, I was gonna make a joke about Exhuminator saying "All King's Field, all the time," but he pretty much already did that for me.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 pm

I'd hate to see somebody told to go buy Earthbound.

But everyone should be told to go buy Earthbound. I should make it a boardwide announcement. Hell, it's on the Wii U VC.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:01 pm

I'd be up for something like this.

I used to take challenges on my backloggery back when I first signed up to the site like 7 years ago, where people could choose a game and I'd add it to by list and prioritise games on the list as the next ones to beat.

I do still have a half an alphabet marathon to finish though :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Ack wrote:Also, I was gonna make a joke about Exhuminator saying "All King's Field, all the time," but he pretty much already did that for me.

Well ever since Bone dropped the Ys shtick, somebody's gotta pick up his slack. :lol:

In all seriousness, I think a dedicated thread where you post a pool of games you are interested in playing, but can't decide which, and let members recommend to you what they think, is a good idea.

Also a thread where we dare each other to beat hard assed games we've already beat. We could create The Double Dog Dare List where games that are commonly thrown around here as difficult things to finish are added. We already know 7th Saga should go on there.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:
I'd hate to see somebody told to go buy Earthbound.

But everyone should be told to go buy Earthbound. I should make it a boardwide announcement. Hell, it's on the Wii U VC.

Yeah, but if they don't own a Wii U, that would certainly make things a little harder for them.

That's why we do a list built from things you already own. You have X number of slots for things to play. Put X number of games of your choice and present them to whoever your buddy is or to the group, and that buddy or the group picks one of those games. You must then go play that game and try your damnedest to beat it. If a game is above your skill level, don't put it on the list until you've got a few more titles under your belt. If you have a buddy, you don't even have to broadcast what your game choices are to the rest of us, though if we take the group approach, it would be much easier to have a dedicated thread.

Conversely, it could be an invite-only thing for the guys seen as the most hardcore, though I worry that would end up becoming an elitist thing.
Return to RPG