Take a break from The 7th Saga - Ys VIII is coming

Level up here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Take a break from The 7th Saga - Ys VIII is coming

Post by Exhuminator »

I think the HG101 editors choosing Thief 2 over Thief 1 shows how strange the list really is.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm gonna guess that they just had 10 guys pick their 20 favorite games.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:I think the HG101 editors choosing Thief 2 over Thief 1 shows how strange the list really is.

That's not the only one that bothers me on there. It's nice to know that they tried representing series as a whole through some of the choices, but some of the individual choices get me. Half-Life 2 over Half-Life for instance...I suppose if the argument for HL2 includes it being the first game to require Steam, then ok, I can see why it ends up the choice. But for someone who played FPS pretty much since their "modern" inception in the early 1990s, I gotta say it will always be HL for me over HL2.

And Resident Evil 4? You know what, I'm tired of that game getting hyped. Sure, RE was dated and already suffering from the Capcom "milk it till it bleeds" mentality, and RE4 changed the formula with a new style that was entertaining and fun to play, but it also ultimately killed that series and survival horror by turning them all into dull action games.

And screw Dark Forces II. Why does every Star Wars game think I want force powers? Hell no, give me a blaster and tell me to go massacre Jawas.

Now Ack's annoyed. Go play some Ys, kiddos, while I cool off in the garage.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:That's not the only one that bothers me on there.

Me either. It's just the one that bothered me most personally.
Ack wrote:Half-Life 2 over Half-Life for instance

Half-Life > Half-Life 2, all day every day I agree.
Ack wrote:Go play some Ys, kiddos, while I cool off in the garage.

Have you ever played the Ys games? Everyone should play them. Especially Ys Origin.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gonna have to agree to disagree there! HL1 really overstays its welcome to me. I think I've only legit beat it once. It doesn't help that Xen really sucks, so it's not like I even really want to get there. But I swear folks, I've lost track of how many times I've just stopped a replay during the tram tunnels level.

I think it's the weakest link compared to other games of that time, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief, and even Unreal for me. Also I like Jedi Knight more, which is interestingly a bit more advanced with cooler gameplay elements and stuff with the inventory, secrets, force abilities, etc despite running on an older engine I believe. I don't think it's purely nostalgia here too, I have a blast whenever I go back and replay Jedi Knight. It's awkward how fast you can beat it after knowing it so well though haha.

HL2 though... I own it on the Xbox, 360, and PC, and every single time I go back and replay it I'm floored. And hell, I don't even like Ravenholm much or the gravity gun gimmick, but the pacing, the enemy AI, world building, environments, vehicles, etc are all perfectly executed. It blows me away how timeless this one is to me.

And HL3 on the other hand... oh wait...
KoLAddict
24-bit

Post by KoLAddict »

Half-Life 2 is like Final Fantasy VII: An absolutely fantastic game, but way over-hyped. Besides, everyone knows Final Fantasy VI is the best Final Fantasy.

I can't wait for Ys VIII. Books I & II were my fave, but the series as a whole has always been fun.
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Interesting this is gonna be on PS4. Falcom games usually don't make their debut on current home gaming consoles.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

New screenshots appear:

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana will release in Japan in summer 2016 for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. I have zero doubt XSEED will waste any time getting it over to USA.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Dope.

I may actually pre-order this, which is something I never do.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I never preorder.

I will preorder this.

It's Falcom so you know it's FUCKIN AIGHT
PLAY KING'S FIELD.