Level up here
MrPopo

Re: What do you think about BioWare and their games?

by MrPopo Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:42 pm

My first proper experience with Bioware was with KOTOR. I snagged it because Star Wars and had a blast, though I don't think I really internalized it was a Bioware game at the time. I'd heard of Bioware before in that Baldur's Gate was supposed to be amazing. Then later I picked up DA:O because it was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which was supposed to be amazing. I couldn't put it down and immediately went to look for more Bioware games to play; Mass Effect is what I snagged. Then ME2 came out a few months later. At this point I was hooked and started filling out my library.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46 pm

KoTOR is probably the first/only game I've immediately turned around and replayed - and I think still the only one I've done an evil character in. It does start slow though.

Though not Bioware, KoTOR 2 was the first game I've stopped playing due to technical issues, so there's that. Probably should look into the fan patches/etc for it at some point >_>
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Anyone who has listened to our old podcast will already know my stance on this.

I am a big Bioware fan and have played every game on that list except for Shattered Steel, MDK2, Jade Empire, Sonic, and the Old Republic and NWN expacks. I still also need to dive into DA3.

Baldur's Gate (and Diablo) were what really started me off into my love of western/crpgs.

To me BG2 is basically the pinnacle, or one of the few games that sets the standard or bar for wrpgs. It just did so many things right, even though it may have been held back a little by the D&D conversion and ruleset.

But I tore through Mass Effect series, loved almost every bit of it. I am also a big fan of Dragon Age, and have 3 waiting for me to start.

I recall really enjoying Kotor and I think it is one of the best Star Wars gaming experiences yet.

I was not a big fan of the Old Republic however. It isnt bad, just felt like it was too safe and didnt offer up enough even though the story, especially for an MMO, was seemingly good.

I also didnt love NWN. They took it in a direction that offered a lot of modding and the creation of persistent worlds with DMs, which was intriguing. I think had I got into that aspect of the game more, it would have been a more memorable experience. But as it stands as a single player experience, is just mediocre.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I've always thought BioWare were fantastic story tellers.

Anyone who likes Star Wars and KOTOR should gives SWTOR a shot. It may be an MMO but the single player story experience is great, with each character class having their own unique storylines.

Best of all those original class stories are all free to play.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Anyone who likes Star Wars and KOTOR should gives SWTOR a shot. It may be an MMO but the single player story experience is great, with each character class having their own unique storylines.

Have you played it recently, like after the adjustments to the questline XP? I played it at launch but got bored slogging through sidequests just to get leveled up enough for the next planet. Might have been okay if the combat was fun, but, I didn't find it to be (granted, I'm simply not a huge fan of the WoW style GCD stuff anyway).

I know they'd recently said that things were retuned so that you could just play the main story parts though.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Does anyone know if the GOG version of KOTOR 2 includes the restored content mod?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Does anyone know if the GOG version of KOTOR 2 includes the restored content mod?

I know there's a lot of anti Steam users here, but that version may be the better one to go with. It was officially patched this year believe it or not. Supports widescreen, controllers, etc, and the restored content mod is accessible for free from the toolshop thing. I hope KOTOR 1 gets patched like this too.

I imagine that mod is still free elsewhere though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:01 pm

You can add that mod to the GOG version, I believe.

KOTOR is still my absolute favorite. It and the sequel were spectacular. It was also my first proper BioWare experience. And the start is ridiculously slow. I played for eight hours, and it felt like the game wasn't going anywhere, but once you get off the first planet, it's off to the races.

Speaking of KOTOR, the Android version, at least as of a few days ago, was free on Amazon Underground. I got it just to have a mobile version. :)

I can't claim to have beaten any of the Infinity Engine games, but am aware that BG2 is considered the pinnacle. Having actually beaten Pillars of Eternity this year (thanks once again, MrPopo!), I believe I will one day get through one of the games.

I really enjoyed Jade Empire, and it's pretty short compared to the other games in their lineup. Mass Effect is awesomesauce on (almost) every level. I wasn't as enamored with Dragon Age: Origins as I was with KOTOR, but it was a fine game, and I didn't dislike Dragon Age 2, either. Too much asset reuse, but still a lot of good stuff there, and it basically played like an action-RPG, which was fun. I'm currently mired in Dragon Age: Inquisition, and it's big. Too big. But still a lot of fun.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:34 pm

isiolia wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Anyone who likes Star Wars and KOTOR should gives SWTOR a shot. It may be an MMO but the single player story experience is great, with each character class having their own unique storylines.

Have you played it recently, like after the adjustments to the questline XP? I played it at launch but got bored slogging through sidequests just to get leveled up enough for the next planet. Might have been okay if the combat was fun, but, I didn't find it to be (granted, I'm simply not a huge fan of the WoW style GCD stuff anyway).

I know they'd recently said that things were retuned so that you could just play the main story parts though.

I actually have, to play through the last character I hadn't played.

It's much easier now. You can ignore the sidequests (story quests are now specifically marked with purple icons) and you're given all of the gear you need. You can focus solely on the story now which eliminates the grind and makes the game's length much more reasonable.

Before that I honestly wouldn't have been able to get through the other classes either if I hadn't been playing it with my girlfriend.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:29 pm

I might have to redownload SWTOR and do the other class quests. I got it on launch and did a Bounty Hunter and enjoyed it, but then when I went to do a second class for the class quests it was just such a slog to get leveled up on content I'd already done.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to RPG