Level up here
Ack

Re: Together RPG - Illusion of Gaia - 12/01-2/01

by Ack Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Yeah, I am thinking about finally getting around to this one too. I just also want to spend a little time with Raiden Read and I'm already playing Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War. And come January, KOTOR starts up for TR. Decisions, decisions...
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 am

Ack wrote:And come January, KOTOR starts up for TR. Decisions, decisions...

Huh, you guys are planning to play through Knights of the Old Republic? I think I'll actually join in on that one. I tried getting into KOTOR years ago but quickly lost interest... maybe I can stick with it now as an older more patient Exhuminator.

And yeah Ack, dude, if you haven't played Illusion of Gaia yet, you oughta. It's one of the very best action-RPGs on the SNES. (Though I believe that Soul Blazer is still the best of the Heaven and Earth trilogy.)

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am

I spent a little time with Illusion of Gaia years ago but only put about five hours into it before hopping off for something else. It's been on my list of things to beat for years now. I guess it's time I wrap up yet another NTSC-U SNES RPG.

In that spirit, I fired it up last night. I only had about half an hour in which to play, so I only managed to clear the first dungeon and get back to the starting town. So far so good. I also managed to snag enough red jewels to pick up the first item. Are there only 50 in the game, or are there more than enough to get everything?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:35 pm

There are only 50, and since the game doesn't believe in backtracking they are very missable. That said, it's not like you're working your way to the infinity+1 sword or anything, so don't stress about it.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
flash1987
24-bit

by flash1987 Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Not played JRPGs in years but been fancying some retro gaming and saw this thread. I've not played it before so worth a shot.

Got a couple of hours in today. Up to the point where I've conveniently ran into an old inventor friend who's holding the thin thin plot together with duct tape.

Combats been pleasant, mostly easy stuff, except for the boss I had to fight who took a couple of goes.

I do kind of feel like I'm missing something. I'm trying to get my father who will somehow stop some evil from coming back or something. Maybe its the translation but it's not entirely clear why I'm doing any of this... and even more bizarrely how I can transform into some big dude.

The game is pretty and keeping me interested for now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Negative nancy incoming...

My least favorite Quintet game. The simplicity to Soul Blazer (and it sharing so many ActRaiser assets) was something I really loved about that one. Had a lot of quirky charm but was so damn fun. Gaia is naturally in between this and the more refined Terranigma, which also has its knicks and knacks like all Quintet stuff, but everything about it is way better than this to me.

I think my biggest issue is probably due to the localization, so I want to ask has anyone worked on a fan translation for this game? Because the story, dialogue, characters, were god awful to me. I'm talking this made Evermore "evil twins" look like some legendary Odysseus work. So bad, that I just know something is wrong here.

I don't particularly remember the music standing out at all either, and it had some weird trial and error design throughout. Gorgeous graphics and plays well, but yeah. There's so much more on the SNES I'd take over this one.

But if a superior translation is floating around then I'd be up for a replay, because I'm assuming the game surely has to have a better story than what I played a few years ago...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:09 pm

If you found this localization lacking you should stay far away from Breath of Fire II...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Illusion of Gaia had a decent localization for its day. There were far worse on the same system. Such as what Bone mentioned above. That one was so bad it did get a fan re-translation. As for Gaia not having that great of a story, well IMO none of the Quintet games really did. But who's playing SNES action-RPGs for a good story? I can only think of one SNES action-RPG with a truly good plot: http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/0/0/5/gfs_4829_2_73.jpg
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:56 pm

First time in a while playing Illusion of Gaia. Started up tonight, already done with the castle dungeon.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:10 am

I'm not even sure it's the localization as much as it is that the story, any way you slice it, is just really effing weird.
Return to RPG