Together RPG - Illusion of Gaia - 12/01-2/01

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Together RPG - Illusion of Gaia - 12/01-2/01

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:Illusion of Gaia had a decent localization for its day. There were far worse on the same system. Such as what Bone mentioned above. That one was so bad it did get a fan re-translation. As for Gaia not having that great of a story, well IMO none of the Quintet games really did. But who's playing SNES action-RPGs for a good story? I can only think of one SNES action-RPG with a truly good plot: http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/0/0/5/gfs_4829_2_73.jpg

I give this post +1 for Gun Hazard screenshot.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Gun Hazard

Yeah Gun Hazard is my all time favorite SNES game. If it's never been a Together RPG/retro it dang well should be.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok, I managed to play a little more over the weekend and have made my way to the Sky Palace/Fortress/Doohicky/Whatever. I've been killing all of the enemies in every room to keep up my stats, and at this point I've gotten enough red jewels to pick up all of the stat upgrades that the guy offers.

So far...I dislike how the story is being presented. It feels mangled and disjointed. It also feels like it's just a series of vignettes between dungeons. I have enjoyed the actual combat in the game, and the dungeons sometimes feature twisting designs or puzzles that take a bit of figuring out. I appreciate that. I just am not impressed by what I see outside of the dungeons.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Tbh, I don't recall the story really getting any better, at least until the very end. The end does a bit to try and tie things together as I recall. But the strength of the game is in the dungeons.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm still surprised people expect good stories in 16-bit action-RPGs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:I'm still surprised people expect good stories in 16-bit action-RPGs.

I'm basing my thoughts on what I've seen in other 16-bit games. The stories in Final Fantasy IV, Lufia II, Chrono Trigger...they're not necessarily award winners, but they're at least comprehensible in a way that I don't find Illusion of Gaia to be, hence why I criticized the story's presentation, not its quality. It feels like I'm watching a series of shots with dialog but without proper connection to each other.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:The stories in Final Fantasy IV, Lufia II, Chrono Trigger

But these aren't action-RPGs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:The stories in Final Fantasy IV, Lufia II, Chrono Trigger

But these aren't action-RPGs.

Sure, but then how about Secret of Mana or Secret of Evermore? I found the story presentation in those better than Illusion of Gaia. It's not as bare bones as Ys III, Lagoon, or Brain Lord I suppose, but it's not top-tier like I'd been expecting. I'd heard Illusion of Gaia get a lot of hype.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:I'd heard Illusion of Gaia get a lot of hype.

I think people enjoy it for its above average graphics, nice OST, simple puzzles, and quality combat.

If you want my advice on excellent SNES action-RPGs, play Demon's Crest, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, or Soul Blazer. (Brandish 2: The Planet Buster and Chaos Seed: Feng Shui Chronicles look great but I haven't made time to play them yet.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack! Maybe I won't be alone in not really caring about Gaia. :lol:

I don't want to derail the thread at all with negativity or get too off topic, but have you played Soul Blazer or Terranigma? I like those way more for Quintet titles. And well, I'm not even going to try and compare Gaia to Evermore, Mana, or SD3.

Even I can laugh at how simple the story is in not just Evermore, but the two SNES Mana games as well. Very basic, practically cliche' stuff, but the charm is in spades, with great pacing, and the whole ride is awesome. Perhaps Ack just isn't feeling Gaia, and it never really "clicked" for me so I won't be surprised if he walks away neutral on it even after wrapping it up.

I can't recall a single song from the game either...

I don't think it really boils down to story though, all around Gaia was just awkward to me. That really sums it up. Good combat and some nice graphics at times, but there are a lot of other better packages on the SNES.