Together RPG - Illusion of Gaia - 12/01-2/01

Level up here
eggman
24-bit

Re: Together RPG - Illusion of Gaia - 12/01-2/01

Post by eggman »

I have tried to beat the vampires several times.....not even close.

I have enjoyed the game and would like to see the rest of the things it has to offer. It is solid and moves along at a steady comfortable pace up until now.

I like it, but I probably won't replay it once/if I am done.
Need Hexyz Force and Class of Heroes 2 for a complete PSP RPG Set.....let me know your price!!!!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

What's your vampire strategy? Try to keep some distance between you and them and use Freedan's balls. You don't need to rush, the time limit is actually pretty generous.

What's hilarious / frustrating is how damn easy the boss that follows the vampire is. Typical retro JRPG inconsistent difficulty at play here.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:use Freedan's balls.

Why is TSTR posting on Bone's account?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
eggman
24-bit

Post by eggman »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:What's your vampire strategy? Try to keep some distance between you and them and use Freedan's balls. You don't need to rush, the time limit is actually pretty generous.

What's hilarious / frustrating is how damn easy the boss that follows the vampire is. Typical retro JRPG inconsistent difficulty at play here.

Ive tried several different approaches...I think your recommendation was the one I came closest with. I just need to give it a few more tries and persevere with Freedan's fire balls thingy's...it seems like the best option.
Need Hexyz Force and Class of Heroes 2 for a complete PSP RPG Set.....let me know your price!!!!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

After being unable to play for nearly a week, I got back to the game today and made a lot of progress.

I've cleared out the Mine, the Sky Garden (which was really neat), Seaside Palace, Mu, Angel Village, and finally the Great Wall of China. Ended the night by killing the rather pathetic Sand Fanger and collecting the fourth statue.

Hate or not, I for one am having a lot of fun with this game. The dungeons rock, and considering they are clearly 90% of the game, they more than make up for any issues with presentation. The only beef I have is that the game lets you advance dialogue and such with the d-pad. I've skipped several text boxes by accident because of this. I'm not missing anything really, but it is annoying.

Anyway, just might be able to finish this one off next time I play.

On another note, I looked up Soul Blazer and its kind of expensive. I would have bought it immediately at a cheaper price, but now its low priority since I have other pricey games on my list that come first. Oh well, it'll keep.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think we can all agree that the raft scene was about twice as long as it needed to be.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Ok yeah that's true.

Then they went and did it again with the underwater tunnel, heh. But, at least that one is comparatively brief.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah the price of Soul Blazer has really climbed these past few years.

Did you grab a Retron 5 yet, CFFJR? I highly recommend Terranigma/Tenchi Sōzō. I suppose you could also get a repro cart for the NTSC SNES.

As far as Gaia goes, I'm about halfway through the pyramid. I'll probably wrap up the game either today or tomorrow.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

eggman wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:What's your vampire strategy? Try to keep some distance between you and them and use Freedan's balls. You don't need to rush, the time limit is actually pretty generous.

Ive tried several different approaches...I think your recommendation was the one I came closest with. I just need to give it a few more tries and persevere with Freedan's fire balls thingy's...it seems like the best option.

I'm not sure if this is the case in the NA version also, but the main character is pretty much invincible at a certain point in the game (about where you are now). I'm going to spoiler this, because it basically breaks an already broken game:

Regular ol' main-y (Tem--I don't know what they localized him as--the kid) has obscene numbers of invincibility frames when using his jump attack or special abilities, most notably the dash and slide attacks. When you're on solid ground, just slide attack things to their bloody doom. It's nearly fool-proof, as long as there aren't too many hazards around/you can aim it well.

Maybe I should spoiler this too, and (again) I'm not sure if it's the same in the NA version, but there's actually no point in clearing out the rooms for stats. The bosses give all the same stat gains that can be collected by clearing out rooms of enemies. The three stat boosts found in towns, and the gem stat boosts are the only things that might separate two players' stats by the end of the game. (3HP, 2STR, 1DEF)

On a side note: I thought the graphics were just all right, and I kind of hated the art direction and style. The concept art is pretty good, but I felt it translated to really dopey looking characters, and uninteresting backdrops.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

pierrot wrote:and I kind of hated the art direction and style. The concept art is pretty good, but I felt it translated to really dopey looking characters, and uninteresting backdrops.

You sure about that????????

I just beat it. The ending was about twice as long as it needed to be. It's like it unfolded in slow motion.

I'll add cumulative thoughts later.