Together RPG - Anachronox - 10/01-12/01

Level up here
MrPopo

Together RPG - Anachronox - 10/01-12/01

Post by MrPopo »

Anachronox
PC

This time our focus turns to Anachronox, a western developed RPG in the style of JRPGs. This game was developed by Ion Storm Dallas (of Daikatana infame) with lead designer Tom Hall (of Deus Ex fame). It's set in space with you starring as PI Sylvester Boots, down on your luck and needing a case to get your creditors off your back. Needless to say you end up getting caught up in something much larger.

The main world exploration is in a third person over-the-shoulder model. You maneuver your character with the keyboard and maneuver the mouse pointer with your mouse (though the pointer is actually an in-game object). Combat uses a form of ATB and has a heavy emphasis on movement; unlike Chrono Trigger your characters will not run up to enemies when you select attack (and same for your enemies). Another aspect of the exploration is that each character has a personal skill to help you get through the world; think of it like Breath of Fire.

That's about all I can tell you about since I and most of the rest of us haven't played it. But I have been looking forward to this enough that I blasted through Septerra Core to free up my time for it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Anachronox - 10/01-12/01

Post by Nemoide »

I think I'm going to have to play this - I've owned it for years but never got too far.

I love a lot of Tom Hall's work; mostly relating to early Id and Apogee games. I've never played Deus Ex and am under the impression that he wasn't too involved. But I was a hardcore Commander Keen fan when I was in high school!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So I'm about 7 hours in, shit has gotten real and I've got the beginnings of a mystery on my hands (though at the moment I'm sidetracked due to in-story stuff). Something interesting about the game so far is that it has a much greater emphasis on exploration, dialog, and story, rather than combat. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get through the various areas where I can't just kill everything in my way.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, I am only a little ways in(just got the size 5 helmet), but so far the game seems like fun. A bit odd and with some issues, but fun. I like the limited amount of combat and greater emphasis on story though. It really drives me to want to learn more about the world.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I played a bit more last night but progressed the story only slightly. I'm currently saved at the start of the junkyard and about to take my stinky, chewy offering to Eddie, because he knows. I actually ran through the junkyard earlier while looking for red bipridi and Anachronox symbols(among other sidequests), resulting in me inadvertently grinding Boots and the professor up to level 5. I have discovered that the enemies there respawn upon leaving the area, so I may end up level 6 by the time I get through.

Anyway, I have been running around doing sidequests. I photographed all of the Anachronox symbols for the museum and have currently found 2 red bipridi, but I can't seem to locate any others. I also did a quest for an old pal to help him with a homicide investigation and managed to get a new combat ability for Boots in the process. Now I have been asked to photograph the owner of a red motorcycle, but I can't seem to figure out who the driver is. I did headshots of nearly everyone around the fountain, but the rent-a-cop still tells me he needs the photograph, so I guess I haven't found the right person.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I did a similar thing; I did the Junkyard looking for the Anachronox symbol and as a result got extra levels. It'll pay off when you get to the Mystek Tunnels; that's a longish dungeon and a level can mean the difference between one shotting some of them or not.

I actually missed out on the Red Bipridi quest and the investigation quest. I had talked with the guy but didn't talk to him again enough to trigger the quest. And I also wasn't able to figure out the red biker quest. Considering it's only $75 and you already have plenty of experience (if it gives any) I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I have a tech question about Anachronox. Do you have any problems with Boots spazzing out while walking down hallways, like he is catching on something despite nothing being in his way? And I experience what I assume to be load times where the camera zooms in and out after taking an elevator or attacking somebody in combat. Is this normal?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I haven't experienced either. There's the crazy camera angles the game likes to do when you take elevators, but combat is smooth for me. I am running on an SSD, so it could be load times that you're hitting if you're on a platter.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Actually I did some digging and finally found some answers. The walking animation issue has to do with high framerates, while the slow camera pan may be a resolution issue. The devs added a speed-up key to help get around it apparently, and some folks have gotten results with widescreen mods. I may have to experiment a bit with these.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I assume you have the GOG release; what shortcut are you using to launch and what are your settings in the config set at?