Help me pick a 16-bit RPG to play!

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Help me pick a 16-bit RPG to play!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have seen all the endings multiple times.

Here's the deal......
Chrono Trigger allows you to battle the final boss early on. But, do it too early and you will get boned due to being under-leveled and under-equipped. Thus, it's wise to just wait until the "proper" time at the end of the game.

However, once you finish the game once you unlock the New Game+. This allows you to begin the entire game again but with your levels and stats retained. Now you can defeat the final boss whenever. And since Chrono Trigger involves time travel completing the game during different eras nets a different outcome and ending. It's pretty damn cool.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Good choice. Only my favorite JRPG of all time.

Also, I just finished off Dragon Quest III on SFC, which is also excellent.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have beaten all of these.

Chrono Trigger - This would probably be my pick. A classic "beginner's RPG" - or a great RPG for anyone really. It's simple to pick up and play and very streamlined, and absolutely brilliant in terms of presentation and design.

Final Fantasy III - My favorite game of all time. Incredible atmosphere and cast of characters but not nearly as refined and tight as Chrono Trigger. Definitely play both eventually though; if you love CT you will love this as well.

Secret of Mana - One of the best action-RPGs ever. Features an incredibly organic and pretty setting with some fantastic accompanying music. Controls are a touch wonky and the game starts slow, but it's definitely worth sticking with.

Crusader of Centy - Worst one on this list. A poor man's Link to the Past with some awkward slippery controls and a total lack of direction or purpose. Worth one playthrough for the action-RPG fanatic but everyone else should steer clear.

Shining Force II - Well-designed strategy RPG with a great (huge) cast of characters. Mechanics are easy to grasp so perhaps the best strategy RPG for genre newbies.

Phantasy Star IV - Best one of the original four. Great anime graphical style. I wouldn't play this without playing the others first as the stories are interwoven.

BoneSnapDeez: I really appreciate your short recaps. What do you think of these?

Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG
FF II (IV)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay brah here we go.

Illusion of Gaia - Great game! Kinda Zelda-ish with a very unique leveling system. Bright colorful graphics. It is the second entry in a loosely-defined "series" so you may want to check out Soul Blazer first.

Secret of Evermore - A Western-developed action-RPG that feels like a bit of a pseudo-sequel to Secret of Mana as it utilizes the same interface, combat system, and so on..... Like Mana it's a bit clunky but enormously entertaining. Fantastic atmospheric OST too.

Super Mario RPG - Haven't played this in ages. Pretty fun from what I recall. The game looks great (released late in the SNES lifespan) and it mixes some traditional Mario elements with JRPG design. I prefer this to the later Paper Mario and handheld Mario RPGs.

FF II (IV) - Very straightforward for an early FF title, no job or class system. A very "story-driven" RPG with lots of memorable characters. Note that the North American version is WAY easier than the Japanese original.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

Thanks, homie!

Chrono Trigger is turning me into an RPG gamer. I think I'm gonna play Illusion of Gaia next.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The only "problem" with Chrono Trigger is that most RPGs you play in the future will pale in comparison.