Dragon Force

Level up here
Sano
Next-Gen

Dragon Force

Post by Sano »

I own an official U.S. version of this game and every time I go to play it, I get my ass handed to me. Has anyone ever gotten anywhere in this game? Any tips would help!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Dragon Force

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sano wrote:I own an official U.S. version of this game and every time I go to play it, I get my ass handed to me. Has anyone ever gotten anywhere in this game? Any tips would help!

I have beaten it with two of the main campaigns. What are the problems you are facing?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

Beaten this game many a time. It's my favorite Saturn game. I think Wein, Junon, and Tieris(sp?) are the 3 easiest monarchs to start with. You definitely need to learn what units are good against what.

One good tip is after you get attacked at a castle, if the enemy retreats and you don't capture all the generals you should immediately pause the game once you return to the map. You can refill on troops and deploy your generals/army after the retreating army and unpause the game. You'll encounter them in battle again and they'll have poor health and no troops. You'll likely be able to capture them this way.

Also, leave captured generals in jail to rot. Don't worry about trying to convince them to join you. They'll probably just desert you anyway.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

I would disagree on the talking to generals in prison. Sure, some like Bastion have a tendency to desert you, you need those generals to hold castles.

For starters, definitely learn what units are effective against what. That seriously affects if you are successful or not. If you want an easy starter kingdom, pick Teiris. Immediately change her generals units away from archers because they are absolutely useless. When you do that, the rest of the game will be a breeze for her.

Remember that you receive medals for each battle won. You award those medals to generals and that will increase their troop capacity by 10. If you capture castles, you gain an award for your king to increase his/her troop capacity as well. This is based on the maximum number of castles caught.

Always search/recruit at the beginning of the game. Searching can give you items that will allow you to specialize in other troop types like Dragons or Zombies, which will change things dramatically in your favor. Wait until half way through the game to really start repairing your castles. If you fight in the castles they will result in a loss of how many recruits you can store to disperse amongst your generals.

As for combat itself, if you are fighting melee troops and you have the advantage, just do a special formation and have them standby. They get free hits on the oncoming enemies. If you are fighting ranged enemies, I do special formation and then disperse them and then advance... disperse...advance. That way they can reach the enemy troops with zero casualties and cut them down.

If you have ranged troops on your side, when you wipe out the enemies troops, advance them forward and have them standby in front of the enemy general, but not directly next to them. They can't attack you and get hit. If you have a lot of troops, you can set it up to have two ranged unites on either side of him attacking him.

Try your hardest to secure generals with troops that are a different type then what you have. That will help you out immensely. Variety is the spice of life and it will help you out in any scenario.

Enjoy the game man as it is absolutely spectacular and worth all the time to play it. It is a blast. If you have any other questions, just let me know and I will be happy to help you out.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

I can't point out exact problems because I don't know what to look for other then the fact that my armor always ends up dying out. I attack one area and take it, but then it gets attack and I defend only to get my ass kicked.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game; but divine llama it is hard for me to make it anyway.

I was never good at tactical RPGs, but something about Dragon Force pulls me in. I guess I will just keep trying. What do they say: "The more you do it the better you get"

I do appreciate the information; I will try to incorporate it into my next play session.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

So I noticed whilst playing the game that I have a few generals that don't like me. Is there anyway to get them to like you more so they won't leave?

Also was wondering about Duels. Is it just random button mashing or is there some strategy?
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Soldier Blue wrote:So I noticed whilst playing the game that I have a few generals that don't like me. Is there anyway to get them to like you more so they won't leave?

Yes, some generals like being in battle. A lot hate being kept in the same place. They also will not like it if they win battles and aren't awarded for it. Other characters like Bastion will never be happy and will leave at a moments notice. The main generals will never leave you though.

As for duels there is no button mashing at all. It just autoplay and it is Stat based and very random.

KoLAddict
24-bit

Post by KoLAddict »

This is my all time favorite game. I can answer nearly any question you have about it.

As many have said, learn troop types strengths and weaknesses.

What Empire are you playing as? Can help a lot if we know that.

One vastly overpowered trick is having two Generals in a castle. When an army is coming, send one general out to fight, and then after winning the first battle, retreat. You'll lose a few troops, but you'll run back to your castle while the enemy sits there and laughs for a minute, giving you time to restore your army, plus full MP regain. Then re-deploy that General (or the other one if you want both to get awards and exp) and repeat until you can slaughter the whole host with one guy.

Also, when you get to Crystal castle (it's in Palemoon, the forest area in the middle east of the continent, right next to the mountains leading to Highland), take your generals with 70+ Intelligence (meaning they can Search during Domestic Affairs) and have them search. The only item you can get at Crystal Castle is Dragon Crests. Dragons are the most overpowered unit in the game, only weak to Samurai.

EDIT: If you want to get Bastion easily, send a female General after him. He'll immediately defect without a fight. As long as you keep him away from enemy female generals and award him when he fights for you, he'll stay.
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Thanks a bunch for the tips guys! I haven't yet played it as I am having trouble with SSF and Cassini currently. Neither one will load properly (SSF is the one I generally use for Dragon Force). When I get it to work, hopefully I can kick some ass! :mrgreen:
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

what kind of trouble are you having with SSF? It's been pretty headache free for me for the last 10 years.