Level up here
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What are the most underated RPGs?

by Xeogred Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Around halfway through FFIX development is where Hironobu Sakaguchi left the project and you can tell right when he did.

Source? I was just hearing the other day people thinking it was Sakaguchi's ultimate swan song lol. But I like FF10 and Lost Odyssey a lot more. FF9 did not leave much of an impression on me and I've never felt compelled to replay it until more recently, over a decade later. Mainly just to see if I was wrong about it or it really is just kind of whatever in my book too. I remember loving the world and atmosphere, but the combat seemed slow, nothing about Kuja or the characters stood out, etc. Who knows...

Anyways, Lost Odyssey fits the thread. It's literally the lost PSX Final Fantasy in every conceivable way. Has some annoyingly weird difficulty spikes at times though, but then by the end of the game it falls into the FF6-FF8 trap of letting you be utterly invincible if you know what you're doing with the mechanics. Otherwise it's pure bliss though and it's pretty awesome that both the English and Japanese dubs are awesome. I think the game had like 5 language options haha, think that's why it was 4 discs.

FF8 is a weird love/hate thing for me. Personally, I love how derpy and weird the plot is, has some great standout characters, one of Uematsu's weirder experimental scores next to FF5, and everything is fantastic in my book... except the Junction/Card system. I've tried replaying this one several times over the years, but I think I'm officially done trying after so many attempts. I can never keep the steam going. But in the end I still look back on it fondly since I had a blast the first time all the way through, and did everything possible.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:16 pm

I'll try to dig up the source for you tomorrow. I read about it years ago and can't remember where I read about it right now. I remember reading Sakaguchi left FFIX development during its midway point to focus on other things going on with Square, primarily the fact that he was so busy directing The Spirits Within.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Exhuminator wrote:The Spirits Within.

THAT DOESN'T EXIST!

The bigger loss to me is Matsuno getting sick and having to leave FF12's development midway in. What could have been...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Xeogred wrote:The bigger loss to me is Matsuno getting sick and having to leave FF12's development midway in.

You know that was a cover story right?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:28 pm

SOURCES Exhuminator!

No matter how you slice it it's obvious Matsuno didn't get to work his magic with the world building and story in FF12. It doesn't make sense compared to Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story (and FFT, though I think it falls apart near the end and Tactics Ogre is way better). Something must have happened. But it sounds like this is when Matsuno and his team were having a fallout with Square.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: most underrated rpgs in your opinion

by darsparx Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:29 am

Sarge wrote:Dude, I loved the Golden Sun games. Everyone gripes about the verbosity of the dialogue, but it's got a nice mix of puzzle-solving, exploration, and battling. In a lot of ways, it feels like Dragon Quest by way of Camelot..

See I always loved Golden Sun but I don't feel it got the love it deserved. Especially since the third game was kinda odd and I don't think I've played a game quite like golden sun since. I loved it's dialogue, character animations, and graphics. Plus I think I spent way to long on that fountain that I think is in lost age? I wish camelot did more games like it but it seems like they've not made a true rpg in quite awhile. The only thing actually now that i think of it that comes close to it in feel is Grandia and I'm not sure if that's a underrated game(though I haven't managed to beat it and have been meaning to go back once I got a physical copy somehow). I love games like that with quirky dialogue, and the character animations. Some other games just take things way too seriously and forget to give you a laugh here and there...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:42 am

Xeogred wrote:SOURCES Exhuminator!

No matter how you slice it it's obvious Matsuno didn't get to work his magic with the world building and story in FF12. It doesn't make sense compared to Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story (and FFT, though I think it falls apart near the end and Tactics Ogre is way better). Something must have happened. But it sounds like this is when Matsuno and his team were having a fallout with Square.

I thought he essentially had a nervous breakdown because he was clashing so much with corporate. Which makes both of you right.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:32 am

---- break from legitimate line of conversation for obligatory weeb post ---

Hyperdimension Neptunia (the entire series) is the most underrated RPG of all time.

--- resume legitimate line of conversation following obligatory weeb post ---
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 am

Xeogred wrote:SOURCES Exhuminator!

I'll tell you what I know, and if you don't believe me, and want to do the legwork to verify, feel free. I'm not gonna spend an hour of my life chasing sources that are 10 years old which I don't even remember where I read them to begin with. I simply remember what I read because the information was important to me at the time.

Matsuno is a perfectionist and was taking too long to finish FFXII even with his huge team of developers. Higher ups decided they'd had enough waiting and pressured him strongly to move over and let others take the reigns. In Japan it's dishonorable as hell to just quit a key position, so Matsuno claimed sick leave and exited in a more respectable fashion. Afterwards Hiroyuki Ito, Hiroshi Minagawa, and Akitoshi Kawazu headed the project and expedited its completion.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
flylikeabird
16-bit

by flylikeabird Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:08 am

Am I weird for liking Legend of Legaia? I remember thinking the combat system was pretty cool at the time and I enjoyed the game. Don't hear people mention it that often though.
Return to RPG