Level up here
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What are the most underated RPGs?

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:15 am

Ack wrote:See, here is the issue: you're talking to us. We are not the average gamer.

We're the gaming master race. Glory to Racketboydom.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 am

thesupremegamer12 wrote:what in your eyes are the most overlooked rpgs whether they got a negative reception or just didnt get enouth attention

KING'S
FIELD
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:17 pm

lol ded
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Not really truly underrated but Legend of the Dragoon was always my favorite PS1 RPG. Great art, good characters (if very much generic ones, but they were well done), a simple and satisfying battle system, etc. It's the only 3D turn based JRPG I ever truly liked.

Like I say, it's not really unknown, and it's generally well regarded today, but I do feel it's overshadowed by the heavy hitters of the PS1. It is a classic B-tier title, and shows up on some top lists, but is usually passed over for other Square games.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:05 pm

I see people ragging on Legend of Dragoon all the time. I thought it was good, stilted dialogue aside. It's the best Final Fantasy on the system that isn't actually Final Fantasy.
Ack

by Ack Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Sarge wrote:I see people ragging on Legend of Dragoon all the time. I thought it was good, stilted dialogue aside. It's the best Final Fantasy on the system that isn't actually Final Fantasy.

My issue with it was the second disc. For some reason, that disc just seemed to drag on forever. The third disc dragged a little bit at first but then picked up the pace, and the first and fourth discs were just fine. It's not a bad game, but it's not perfect. I still enjoyed it when I played it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Oh, yeah, it's definitely not perfect. I still think it's right up there with the PSX FF games, though. At minimum, I didn't feel like I did with FFIX, where I was just ready for it to be over with by the midpoint of the third disc.
Ack

by Ack Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Sarge wrote:Oh, yeah, it's definitely not perfect. I still think it's right up there with the PSX FF games, though. At minimum, I didn't feel like I did with FFIX, where I was just ready for it to be over with by the midpoint of the third disc.

Shoot, I feel that way about FFIX midway through the first disc. I've tried several times to get into that one, but every time it just turns into a slog.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Around halfway through FFIX development is where Hironobu Sakaguchi left the project and you can tell right when he did.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Ack wrote:
Sarge wrote:Oh, yeah, it's definitely not perfect. I still think it's right up there with the PSX FF games, though. At minimum, I didn't feel like I did with FFIX, where I was just ready for it to be over with by the midpoint of the third disc.

Shoot, I feel that way about FFIX midway through the first disc. I've tried several times to get into that one, but every time it just turns into a slog.

I used to feel that way about FFIX but I just kept trying and then one day it just clicked and now I love it.
Return to RPG