Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: most underrated rpgs in your opinion

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:46 pm

I really like the "automatic" battles. A nice change of pace from the typical A-button mashing found in so many SNES JRPGs.
Daria
24-bit

by Daria Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Fair enough.

I would have liked a choice I think; the option to strategize my attacks would have at least given me the illusion of control even if it boiled down to mashing attack (like it inevitably does). But regardless it doesn't detract from the charm of the game, which is really, just dirty humor.
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

ricardogreene85 wrote:In my opinion, here is the list:
- Path of Exile
- Jagged Alliance 2
- Mount & Blade: Warband
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
- Risen
- Alpha Protocol

I'm unfamiliar with the first five you listed, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about Alpha Protocol. That game doesn't get NEARLY as much attention as it deserves.

I'd say the Hyperdimension Neptunia series and the original Phantasy Star (the one on Sega Master System) would be my picks for most underrated RPGs.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:38 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
ricardogreene85 wrote:In my opinion, here is the list:
- Path of Exile
- Jagged Alliance 2
- Mount & Blade: Warband
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
- Risen
- Alpha Protocol

I'm unfamiliar with the first five you listed, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about Alpha Protocol. That game doesn't get NEARLY as much attention as it deserves.

I'd say the Hyperdimension Neptunia series and the original Phantasy Star (the one on Sega Master System) would be my picks for most underrated RPGs.

Path of exile is a great Diablo style rpg that is free and is an absolute blast to play.

Mount and blade warband is a sandbox medieval game akin to the style of Sid Meier's pirates! I have plunked over 100 hours into warband. Such a great game!

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines is a First Person/Third Person action rpg that has a great story, memorable characters and a plethora of things to do. Lots of gameplay changes based on what bloodline you pick and it really adds depth.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrNash
32-bit

Re: What are the most underated RPGs?

by MrNash Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:35 pm

The Drakensang games always struck me as ones that never got the attention they deserved. Great tactical RPGs in the spirit of Baldur's Gate. =)
Daria
24-bit

by Daria Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:40 am

So when I started my review of Rudra I was working under the assumption that it was a popular Squaresoft RPG. Since posting I've realized two things: 1. 75% of the people that have talked to me about it have never even heard of the game. 2. I'm the only review on YouTube (aside from a guy that sounds like he's making out with his microphone).

Which is a shame because the game's great, hell even SaGa titles, which used to be pretty much hated, have developed a quirky cult following over the years.
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:53 am

Yeah that game is great.

Many people who've explored the world of fan-translated RPGs have played the game... But that group probably isn't that large.
Daria
24-bit

by Daria Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:00 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah that game is great.

Many people who've explored the world of fan-translated RPGs have played the game... But that group probably isn't that large.

Thanks(?) to unscrupulous repro sellers that group is bigger than it used to be. But everyone's buying the same carts - Seiken Densetsu 3, Tales of Phantasia, Mother 3 etc. But yeah, I guess I've been taking the scene for granted and it's hard to gauge what the average gamer has been exposed to.
Ack

by Ack Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:53 pm

See, here is the issue: you're talking to us. We are not the average gamer.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Treasure of the Rudras was really good stuff. Kind of like an accessible SaGa game.
Return to RPG