Level up here
thesupremegamer12

What are the most underated RPGs?

by thesupremegamer12 Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

what in your eyes are the most overlooked rpgs whether they got a negative reception or just didnt get enouth attention

heres my choices

atelier iris 2:theres alot of atelier games (hounerable mentions go to mana khemia and atelier totori) but this ones my personal fav ^^ shame other rpgs on the ps2 overshadowed it since well lets face it the ps2 had aload of jrpgs so there was bound to be some forgotton ones so yeah

quest 64 call it a guilty pleasure but i somewhat like this game the graphics where good,the music was good and at times i even enjoyed the combat system so yeah

other overlooked rpgs include

evolution worlds:its flawed but a somewhat amusing little dungeon crawler theres alot better but if your looking for a cute little gem its worth a look atleast

teranigma:superb graphics,amazing music and fun gameplay shame it only got released in japan and pal territorys

digital devil saga:got overshadowed by other smt games especilly persona

atelier totori:the areland trilogy had its bumps but i genuanly like totori the alchemy gameplay was just right,the graphics for a gust game look great and the music is catchy so yeah

mana khemia:has the most well rounded gameplay of the atelier series and the music is awesome

tales of graces f:another guilty pleasure honestly if you ignore the story its a decent game with a fun as hell battle system

riviara the promiced land:the battle system is unique and fun and i love the char designs thats pretty much it really

those are mine whats ures?(ik ive probebly missed some out but theres alot of overlooked rpgs out there)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: most underrated rpgs in your opinion

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Another one of these? :lol:

I must gather my thoughts.
Flake

by Flake Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Final Fantasy VII, without a doubt.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:45 am

The first two that come to mind for me are Eternal Ring and Lost Kingdoms, both on PS2 and both by From Software. Eternal Ring is what would happen if you crossed King's Field with Jewel Master. Lost Kingdoms is a hybrid of a collectible card game, dungeon crawler, and real time strategy. Both games are fun, but off-putting initially because of their learning curves and idiosyncrasies.

I think the most underrated RPG ever though is Vagrant Story. A lot of people disregard it because of its complicated menu system, byzantine crafting mechanics, punishing combat system, depressing atmosphere, and obfuscated political plotline. But those are the reasons why I LOVE Vagrant Story. I loved it enough to deal with seeing Ashley Riot's exposed butt cheeks dangling for hours and hours. Seriously, Vagrant Story is a fantastic experience if you just stick with it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:39 am

Zelda.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:15 am

Exhuminator wrote: Eternal Ring is what would happen if you crossed King's Field with Jewel Master.

Holy shit, this sounds amazing. KF (well, 2 for me at least, haven't played the original yet), and Jewel Master are both astounding games. Gonna need to give this a go.

Exhuminator wrote:I think the most underrated RPG ever though is Vagrant Story.

He's right. Vagrant Story is the answer. But since you took the good one, I'll go with:

Shadow Hearts

Released the same year as Final Fantasy X, and wrongfully overshadowed by it. The game presents you with a very dark, bleak atmosphere right off the bat, accompanied by a no-nonsense main character and very intriguing villain. The combat system borrows a bit from Legend of Dragoon (Though I think this should be the go-to game for timing-involved turn-based rpgs), but mixes things up a bit by giving you a ring that you must land multiple presses within. On top of this, the main feature of your main character is to transform into various demons, almost like a Persona-lite mixed with FF summons (There are only a handful, so closer to FF). The game is beautiful, the monsters are great (Something the 2nd game, which seems more popular, seemed to fail at), the combat is fun... its just solid all around. I had a blast with this game, and I didn't play it until years after it was released. Still need to get around to Koudelka (Its predecessor) one of these days.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:24 am

Knights of Xentar
Solus_Emsu
16-bit

by Solus_Emsu Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:44 am

Wild Arms on PSX

Western theme, great music, challenging puzzles/dungeons, almost a throwback to the previous generation of RPGs. It definitely has some flaws and the early 3D battles don't hold up visually speaking, but the ARMs system, crest magic, and force techniques offer some unique gameplay mechanics.

Unfortunately released just a few months shy of another game called Final Fantasy 7 that overshadowed it just a bit.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:53 am

emwearz wrote:Knights of Xentar

I'd agree wholeheartedly with this pick. Its gets dismissed as being nothing more than a "hentai game" but it's a legitimately fantastic 16-bit JRPG. With some n00dz.
thesupremegamer12

by thesupremegamer12 Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Solus_Emsu wrote:Wild Arms on PSX

Western theme, great music, challenging puzzles/dungeons, almost a throwback to the previous generation of RPGs. It definitely has some flaws and the early 3D battles don't hold up visually speaking, but the ARMs system, crest magic, and force techniques offer some unique gameplay mechanics.

Unfortunately released just a few months shy of another game called Final Fantasy 7 that overshadowed it just a bit.

sounds like a fun game
Return to RPG