what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Level up here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:check out my old set-up bro
viewtopic.php?p=497580#p497580

Playing PS3 on CRT's pretty hardcore man.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Oh man, playing PS3 games on small CRTs is really challenging. I only had this really tiny, bad quality one for when I was in school last year... I had to sit really close to it to see anything, and even then a lot of times I couldn't play the game at all because the text was so blurry ><

So glad I have access to a HD TV now.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I spent years playing 360 on a CRT. S-video was a must, else I couldn't read the text in most games. You'd be surprised how many older 360 games support 4:3 resolutions - only a few of my games, like Gears, played in letterbox.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
DPCameron
8-bit

Post by DPCameron »

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:check out my old set-up bro
viewtopic.php?p=497580#p497580

Playing PS3 on CRT's pretty hardcore man.

I have one of my PS3s on a CRT. The colours look better than the huge plasma. Text is a pain to read, though.

As for the worst JRPG... The worst I've played and own is Seiken Densetsu 4 on PS2. Also, Dragon Quest whatever on the Super Famicom. My wife had me play it last year at her house. I tried sooo hard to like it, but my god is it tedious.

I don't know if they are the worst ever, just the worst that I've played.

I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan and I hated FFVII. Still do, but I'm sure it's far from the worst in the genre. It's funny, but the people that don't like that game always feel like they're the only one. We should have a parade or something.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

DPCameron wrote:Also, Dragon Quest whatever on the Super Famicom. My wife had me play it last year at her house. I tried sooo hard to like it, but my god is it tedious.

Which one though? V or VI??? I love both so I'm curious. :P

Dragon Quest has that old school vibe that doesn't always click for everyone.

Final Fantasy VII is such a weird game. I "like" it fundamentally. It's a "good" game. But it's loaded with massive glaring flaws. These things don't all average together to make an okay game - it's a decent RPG that also happens to suck. It's legendary status will continue to confuse me forever.

And yeah. Dawn of Mana. It's not fun.
DPCameron
8-bit

Post by DPCameron »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
DPCameron wrote:Also, Dragon Quest whatever on the Super Famicom. My wife had me play it last year at her house. I tried sooo hard to like it, but my god is it tedious.

Which one though? V or VI??? I love both so I'm curious. :P

Honestly, I can't remember. I just did some googling and it looks like VI.

My wife just had a small collection of games in her old room when we went to visit her parents. One of them was Dragon Quest (VI?). I had a free day, so I wanted to try it. It was that or Donkey Kong Country, which I've finished countless times.

As I said, I'm sure there are far worse than this, as it is considered a classic. Also, I've never liked Toriyama Akira's art, so that didn't help. Again, it's just a personal opinion. My wife loved it hahaha (^_^)
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Final Fantasy VII is like Titanic. It's simultaneously the best movie ever and the worst movie ever, as there are strong arguments to be made for both sides.

It's also widely hated, and at least part of that hate is due to it being so widely loved.

Personally, I don't see the hate. Nothing about it seems terrible. The worst aspects of the game, that I can think of anyway, are just kinda okay and by-the-books, not terrible.
DPCameron
8-bit

Post by DPCameron »

I'd like to do a poll sometime and see a common denominator amongst those that like and dislike FFVII.

In my mind, I think my dislike stems from my adoration for VI. So, maybe the follow up being released on a rival machine left a bad taste in my mouth. Of course, I bought said rival machine, but VII simply didn't live up to VI. So, perhaps it's disappointment for some, rather than a genuine dislike of the game.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Which always confused me, because I felt like FF7 was more or less just retreading the same water FF6 did. Same ATB system, materia was more or less just a slight deviation on magicite, similar story, similar level of technology, etc. FF6 was a bit more grimdark and due to it's 2D graphics has certainly aged a lot better, but that's about it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Well I liked Vay when I was a kid. I havent played it in years

Yeah it doesn't stand up. You were probably like me in my youth, just astounded by games with animated cutscenes and voice acting. It really is a dull game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.