what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Level up here
Ack

Re: what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Chrono Cross, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Ni No Kuni, etc. are also fine games. You people really need to play something bad like Lunar: Dragon Song. That game is the worst.

Shining Force EXA?

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time?

Arc the Lad: End of Darkness?

Last Rebellion?
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

Did anyone play Final Fantasy II? I went through a fan translation. It had some neat ideas, but really wasn't worth playing and is probably the worst RPG that I made the effort to complete. The only good point about the broken combat design was that you could (given time) completely abuse the system to power level your characters.

Surely not the worst RPG... but on the spot it's the worst I recall playing. Judging a fan translation might not be fair since I have no idea how the quality compared to the original script.

Biggest disappointment goes to Final Fantasy 7. Another game with great ambition and some good ideas, but way to many low points to be worth playing (without nostalgia) today.

I know many love that game and look past the low points, but I can't. Very poor translation work, lame mini-games required to progress, ugly graphic design that even interferes with gameplay at times, and a few too many WTF moments in the story made this nigh unplayable.

It's a shame really - there are many good points, but they end up wasted for me. All the game really needed was an editor to come in and tighten up the plot/oversee translation, and it would have been awesome... instead it's the biggest "close but no cigar" game I've ever played.

(In case you are wondering, I also think Kojima is would be better served by having some kind of editor acting as a filter for his games. They could and should be brilliant, but too often fall into madness instead. But that's a different thread altogether.)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

You guys ever play Ephemeral Fantasia on PS2?
I wouldn't recommend it.

I honestly have no argument for if the plot or characters are done well ... I just can't get past how terrible the experience of playing it is.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Cronozilla wrote:You guys ever play Ephemeral Fantasia on PS2?
I wouldn't recommend it.

I honestly have no argument for if the plot or characters are done well ... I just can't get past how terrible the experience of playing it is.

This was the first ps2 game I ever played, and I almost listed it, but I didn't get far enough to give it a fair shake. No memory card!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:FFX is a fine game

I mean with cutscenes like this, what's not to love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZhTb0eUqA

This is one of those games that I hated so much the first time I played it. All these years later, maybe if I give it another chance I'll understand why people love it so much. At this point in time the terrible plot and ridiculous character designs are hard for me to get past though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The post-16-bit FF games are just bizarre. It's like they're designed to be intentionally flamboyant and campy and...... bad. IX is probably the best of the bunch, and VII has its moments, but the rest are questionable in so many ways.

Still love the series for its retro titles, remakes, and spin-offs.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I can agree with you Bone for the most part, but FF XII is a brilliant JRPG. I think it was the Matsuno influence that kept that one on track though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
DeadPark
16-bit

Post by DeadPark »

I tried to play tales of symphonia and i just couldn't. i think maybe it was just unfortunate timing. it came out in that time when 3d was new and no one knew how to do it right. so everything was all blocky. and voice acting was ALSO kind of new and no one could do that right either.

if it were done as a 16 bit for SNES, or redone now with modern graphics, i think i would like it. but as it is, i just can't.

also, i know it doesn't really count, since it was made for us stupid americans who don't know how to RPG. but Final fantasy mystic quest just plain sucked.
Last edited by DeadPark on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit me at http://www.DeadPark.com. The Many Deaths of a Gamer.
Or follow me on Facebook or Twitter
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

DeadPark wrote:if it were done as a 16 bit for SNES, or redone now with modern graphics, i think i would like it. but as it is, i just can't.

So, uh, do you like Tales of Phantasia?
DeadPark
16-bit

Post by DeadPark »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
DeadPark wrote:if it were done as a 16 bit for SNES, or redone now with modern graphics, i think i would like it. but as it is, i just can't.

So, uh, do you like Tales of Phantasia?

i've unfortunately never gotten around to playing it. but i enjoyed the battle system while i was playing tales of symphonia, so i would assume i would like tales of phantasia better.
Visit me at http://www.DeadPark.com. The Many Deaths of a Gamer.
Or follow me on Facebook or Twitter