what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Level up here
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Post by Sarge »

It's amazing how many RPGs on PS3 I've skipped this time around. There's really not a lot of top-notch RPGs on the system, and indeed, the otaku bait just doesn't appeal. Doesn't help that the games just aren't put together that well.

Now, I've not tried the Atelier games on PS3, but I did enjoy Atelier Iris on PS2. They look like they're geared to appeal to girls a bit more than that was, though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I think all the Sony systems - even the Vita - have a bit of a "quantity over quality" problem in the JRPG department. Sure, there are tons of them, but only a small select few can rank up there with the best SNES/Gen/PCE JRPGs.

The PS2 is probably the worst offender in this regard (eight .hack games - really???).
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I think all the Sony systems - even the Vita - have a bit of a "quantity over quality" problem in the JRPG department. Sure, there are tons of them, but only a small select few can rank up there with the best SNES/Gen/PCE JRPGs.

The PS2 is probably the worst offender in this regard (eight .hack games - really???).

That said, the sheer volume means that when that there are some which are really good and throw the bell curve.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The PS2 is probably the worst offender in this regard (eight .hack games - really???).

It also has eight Shin Megami Tensei games, but there's nothing wrong with that. 8)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I played Atelier Rorona on the PS3. I liked it, but comparing it to Atelier Iris is like apples to oranges. Atelier Iris felt like a more traditional "epic" RPG from the PS1 era, while Atelier Rorona reminded me a lot of Recettear, in that it's much more small scale, with a more light-hearted and whimsical feel... plus the heavy emphasis on alchemy and providing services to various towns folk reminded me a lot of Recettear's small business management aspect.

That said, there's like four more Atelier games on the PS3 and they all look very similar to Rorona on the surface. While I really liked Rorona, I don't know if I'd really be down for doing it all over again with a slightly different coat of paint. I'm hoping I'm wrong about it and they only look similar on the surface level.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The PS2 is probably the worst offender in this regard (eight .hack games - really???).

It also has eight Shin Megami Tensei games, but there's nothing wrong with that. 8)

That's pretty incredible. Then again, there are seven MegaTen games on Super Famicom. :shock:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

the7k wrote:That said, there's like four more Atelier games on the PS3

I think there's eight on the PS3 that were released in English? IIRC:

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk - Hidden Paradise

I have no idea at all what differentiates the games from one another, or if any one particular game truly shines above the rest. The overly similar naming scheme just makes them all blur together in my head. Not saying these are bad games mind, but they sure came out at a rather rapid pace... which is not always a good thing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I didn't really count Plus or Hidden Paradise because I figured they were just "Champion Edition" type enhancements...

... but I could be wrong, I have no idea. Like you said, with the rapid pace they came out, it doesn't instill confidence in the product. When I look at screenshots, they look very similar, but I dunno. That's too much, though. I never got around to playing Persona 4 because I played Persona 3 so much I just kinda tapped out - and those games look a lot more distinct from each other compared to the PS3 Atelier games.

Wish they'd make an English Atelier Marie. I've always heard that one was great. Just put it out digitally or something.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

the7k wrote:I never got around to playing Persona 4 because I played Persona 3 so much I just kinda tapped out
Considering the length of the modern Persona games, that's understandable. After all, Persona 4 came out only a year after Persona 3. But then Atlus decided to wait seven years before releasing Persona 5... alrighty then.
Wish they'd make an English Atelier Marie. I've always heard that one was great. Just put it out digitally or something.
I don't know much about that one. But I just checked this series' content out of curiosity's sake. According to Wikipedia there are:

Sixteen main games in the Atelier series which are subdivided into six sub-series. There are three games in the Salburg series, two games in Gramnad series, three games in the Iris series, two games in the Mana-Khemia series, three games in the Arland series and three games in the Dusk series.

Then there are a dozen side games to the series as well. And about nineteen ports and remakes also. No wonder I don't know what's going on in this franchise. :lol: I wouldn't mind trying like the top 3 English releases, but that would take a lot of work to determine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_% ... s%29#Games
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:
the7k wrote:I never got around to playing Persona 4 because I played Persona 3 so much I just kinda tapped out
Considering the length of the modern Persona games, that's understandable. After all, Persona 4 came out only a year after Persona 3. But then Atlus decided to wait seven years before releasing Persona 5... alrighty then.
I don't know much about that one. But I just checked this series' content out of curiosity's sake. According to Wikipedia there are:

Sixteen main games in the Atelier series which are subdivided into six sub-series. There are three games in the Salburg series, two games in Gramnad series, three games in the Iris series, two games in the Mana-Khemia series, three games in the Arland series and three games in the Dusk series.

Then there are a dozen side games to the series as well. And about nineteen ports and remakes also. No wonder I don't know what's going on in this franchise. :lol: I wouldn't mind trying like the top 3 English releases, but that would take a lot of work to determine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_% ... s%29#Games

I've played one game in the series (Atelier Totori Plus, which is a remake of the 2nd of the 3 games in the Arland series). I loved it but it's probably not to everyones tastes. Despite what people may think, it's not exceptionally fanservicey or anything like that.

I can't imagine the games change much between iterations though, so you probably don't need to play them all. Considering I jumped in at the middle of one of the trilogies, I didn't have any issues with not being able to follow what was going on. I bought the other two games in that trilogy, but haven't played them yet.