what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Level up here
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: what in your opinion are the worst jrpgs

Post by Jmustang1968 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Working Designs localized some great stuff, but also some surprisingly dull entries. Vay and Cosmic Fantasy 2 failed to wow me at all.

I like Vay
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I don't play that many JRPG's but there have been a few recent ones that really put me off.

First was Infinite Undiscovery which was just hackneyed and cheap looking. Then there was Final Fantasy XIII which is for innumerable reasons about my least favourite game ever.

Most disappointing however was Eternal Sonata. It's a really beautiful game in a lot of ways but the main selling point for me was the really intriguing concept behind it. You see, the game is set inside the mind of Polish composer Frederic Chopin as he lays on his deathbed. I kind of went in expecting a deep and complex narrative, perhaps of a man retreating into a fantasy world to escape an inevitable and painful death from tuberculosis, or him reviewing his life's work and accomplishments and how much they really matter in the end. You know, something meaningful.

Nope. Just another environmental message/"we can do it if we work together" bit we've been seeing since FF1. There's a bit of unnecessary nihilism thrown in for good measure but the game completely forgets it's supposed to be about Chopin for massive sections of play. There are a few points where the developers chucked in some biographical data on Chopin in the form of text dumps on top of stock pictures (that look like they were pulled from Encarta Encyclopedia circa Windows 95) and that's it until the very very end. The allusions to Chopin's musical career and influence are only on the most superficial level with characters and places named after musical styles, instruments or terminology. More bizarre is that some of these characters are named after genres formed way after Chopin's death which just further added to misguided approach the developers took when drafting the story in my mind.

So yeah, what a waste of a concept. That and it's also too easy and has an awful English dub. Not a terrible game by any means but damn, it's soooo pretty and the combat is somewhat interesting I can't help feel it's massive missed opportunity. Could have been something really special if the developers had spent more time redrafting the story and expanding on that concept.

Lost Odyssey is great though. Just thought that needed to be said.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I like Vay

Any particular reason? I found it to be a town-dungeon-town-dungeon slog complete with endless tedious grinding and a painfully blasé battle system and game world. The fancy pants cutscenes and voice acting couldn't hide the fact that the game is on par with a 1988-era Dragon Quest wannabe.

Sload Soap wrote:Infinite Undiscovery

Yeah this one wasn't great. When tri-Ace fails they fail hard.

Sload Soap wrote:Then there was Final Fantasy XIII which is for innumerable reasons about my least favourite game ever.

You are my spirit animal.

Sload Soap wrote:Most disappointing however was Eternal Sonata. It's a really beautiful game in a lot of ways but the main selling point for me was the really intriguing concept behind it. You see, the game is set inside the mind of Polish composer Frederic Chopin as he lays on his deathbed. I kind of went in expecting a deep and complex narrative, perhaps of a man retreating into a fantasy world to escape an inevitable and painful death from tuberculosis, or him reviewing his life's work and accomplishments and how much they really matter in the end. You know, something meaningful.

Nope. Just another environmental message/"we can do it if we work together" bit we've been seeing since FF1. There's a bit of unnecessary nihilism thrown in for good measure but the game completely forgets it's supposed to be about Chopin for massive sections of play. There are a few points where the developers chucked in some biographical data on Chopin in the form of text dumps on top of stock pictures (that look like they were pulled from Encarta Encyclopedia circa Windows 95) and that's it until the very very end. The allusions to Chopin's musical career and influence are only on the most superficial level with characters and places named after musical styles, instruments or terminology. More bizarre is that some of these characters are named after genres formed way after Chopin's death which just further added to misguided approach the developers took when drafting the story in my mind.

So yeah, what a waste of a concept. That and it's also too easy and has an awful English dub. Not a terrible game by any means but damn, it's soooo pretty and the combat is somewhat interesting I can't help feel it's massive missed opportunity. Could have been something really special if the developers had spent more time redrafting the story and expanding on that concept.

I love Eternal Sonata, but the Chopin aspect was really poorly-written and underdeveloped, yeah...

Sload Soap wrote:Lost Odyssey is great though. Just thought that needed to be said.

Yup.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Stuff about 7th gen RPGs

Wait, you've played video games from years that start with '20'?
Ack

Post by Ack »

alienjesus wrote:

Yeah, 2000 BC.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Well I liked Vay when I was a kid. I havent played it in years
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:

Yeah!

There was a period for about a year - before I got into "collecting" games - where I "only" had NES, Game Boy, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii, DS, and PS3 for consoles. I got some 7th gen gaming done then.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

It's hard to believe Bone actually plays PS3, but then again I think he said he plays Vita too. So maybe he's not as much of a luddite as he puts on. ;p
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

check out my old set-up bro
viewtopic.php?p=497580#p497580
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Haha mostly PC and handheld...