Page 5 of 7

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 pm
by MrPopo
I got to play Sword Coast Legends while I was at PAX and I have to say it was pretty fun. The demo was set up so there would be four PCs (which seems to be the in-game max) and one DM, all roles filled by people who were in line for the demo. The PC interface is your standard Diablo style, with a full bar of quick links to all your abilities. Now, I don't know how 5th edition rules work, but at least here your various abilities were cooldown based, with no resource management of things such as spell charges or per encounter limits (I was playing a Cleric). Everything is realtime though the website advertises pause; I'm not sure if that's enabled in multiplayer and we just didn't look for it or if it's single player only. On the DM side you can create monsters and traps, but they all cost gold. If the players do well then the DM gets lots of gold, while if they are struggling and getting their asses kicked by the monsters then the DM gets very little gold. So it helps reign in sadistic DMs while also allowing them to give more challenge to good/experienced players. It also seems like the available monsters to spawn will be area appropriate; our demo was underground and we were facing against spiders and the occasional Drow assassin.

It seems like they're trying to bring back what Neverwinter Nights was doing but making the experience better geared for more casual DMs. I don't know what the tools will be like for building out the skeleton of an adventure. Looking at the website it sounds like they'll have offline tools for creating the adventure skeleton and then giving you real time access to adjust the adventure based on how the party is doing.

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:59 pm
by Ack
Shadowrun: Hong Kong just had an Extended Edition come out a couple of days ago. If you already own the original Shadowrun: Hong Kong, you apparently get the updated version for free. Nice! Maybe I'll finally go back and play through Dragonfall later this year. I loved Shadowrun Returns when I played it last year.

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:18 pm
by MrPopo
Ack wrote:Shadowrun: Hong Kong just had an Extended Edition come out a couple of days ago. If you already own the original Shadowrun: Hong Kong, you apparently get the updated version for free. Nice! Maybe I'll finally go back and play through Dragonfall later this year. I loved Shadowrun Returns when I played it last year.

For shame. Dragonfall is infinitely better than Returns, so you gotta play it. And Hong Kong is even better than Dragonfall. I would have jumped on the Bonus Campaign of Hong Kong but XCOM 2 is currently holding all my attention.

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm
by BoneSnapDeez
Any Albion fans in the hizzy? One of my favorite WRPGs. Really neat space setting with a dash of JRPG-inspired gameplay in the mix. I've had an old "abandonware" copy floating around my hard drive for ages, but now I see it's on GOG.com:
http://www.gog.com/game/albion
HG101 also covered it recently:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/albion/albion.htm

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 pm
by Ack
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Any Albion fans in the hizzy? One of my favorite WRPGs. Really neat space setting with a dash of JRPG-inspired gameplay in the mix. I've had an old "abandonware" copy floating around my hard drive for ages, but now I see it's on GOG.com:
http://www.gog.com/game/albion
HG101 also covered it recently:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/albion/albion.htm


I have not. I admit, the different perspectives and such in the screenshots I've seen all turned me away.

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:44 pm
by Betagam7
I just picked up the Famicom version of the first Wizardry game on some half remembered information that you can switch all of the text to English.

Did I half remember correctly?

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:47 pm
by Sarge
Cursory search says yes. The source I'm reading says all the important options can be set to English.

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:53 am
by Betagam7
Sarge wrote:Cursory search says yes. The source I'm reading says all the important options can be set to English.


Yep, my searching led to something similar, however i couldn't find clear evidence that the whole thing can be switched to English or whether it just related to some menus.

Can anyone who has played it please confirm?

I also heard that the Western versions of the game are censored so this could be the superior version to get.

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:24 pm
by Ack
Question for those of you crazy enough to know:

Can you port the same characters up through all of the SSI games? Could I build a party in Pool of Radiance, port them to Eye of the Beholder, then to Dungeon Hack or Dark Sun, and then to Menzoberranzan? How crazy could I go with this?

Re: The Western RPG thread

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:38 pm
by MrPopo
Ack wrote:Question for those of you crazy enough to know:

Can you port the same characters up through all of the SSI games? Could I build a party in Pool of Radiance, port them to Eye of the Beholder, then to Dungeon Hack or Dark Sun, and then to Menzoberranzan? How crazy could I go with this?

You can go through the whole Pool of Radiance quartet, you can do a separate party through the three Dragonlance games, but I don't believe there's connectivity between unrelated games.