Level up here
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: The Western RPG thread

by Gamerforlife Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:24 pm

I generally don't like them, but I like the ones from Bioware. I've tried other ones over the years, and they always put me to sleep. So for me, Bioware = WRPGs

My guess is Bioware presents these games in a way that is accessible for folks like me who were bred on JRPGs
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I generally don't like them, but I like the ones from Bioware. I've tried other ones over the years, and they always put me to sleep. So for me, Bioware = WRPGs

My guess is Bioware presents these games in a way that is accessible for folks like me who were bred on JRPGs

You should play Anachronox. It is a Western RPG that has mechanics and styles similar to JRPGs. It is a great Space-based RPG. That may be a nice inbetween for you that could help segue into western RPGS
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Good call Bogus, I've been meaning to check that one out. Wasn't it Eidos too? I usually love most of their old stuff.

I have to honestly say regarding the topic, that my WRPG experience has not been too hot over the years. I didn't really grow up with them, nor am I someone to shrug off old games for simply being old, but it's been tough. I don't really have any issues with the modern games, from KOTOR, to Mass Effect, or the newest Dragon Age, or the two new Fallout's, Skyrim, etc, but yeah.

Planescape - I just couldn't do it. I play games for some gameplay and while I did grow up with some point and click adventure games (some Myst and Shivers!), the isometric perspective is a very different experience... and it just doesn't hold my interest at all because all I'm doing is reading and clicking around some random stuff. I need some balance.

Fallout - Beat Fallout 1, lost steam in 2. I absolutely love the aesthetics to these two, the vibe, the music, stories, etc, but the gameplay... sucks. I'm not very good at them either, so I felt the need to have party members... except they're going to blow your face off around corners on maps (very frequent) or will in turn block your path to hitting targets. Point, shoot, point, shoot. The battle system was about as bare bones as it gets. It doesn't help that I actually grew up playing some Jagged Alliance on the other hand, and those blows these two out of the water in terms of combat/fun.

Baldurs Gate - I lost interest... what felt like instantly. Traditional medieval elements and settings never does too much for me, so that kind of hurts a chunk of the genre to me in general. Again, I dig the looks and isometric games, but there's just something about how slow it feels and controls that brings it down.

I don't know what to say about dungeon crawlers either. Naturally I've played the Diablo's like everyone else, and some of the clones look very cool... but these games make me feel pretty awful after a week or so playing, when I finally hit that point of seeing how pointless they are (same with my MMO experience!) You're mainly just playing for drops and nothing else. Whereas some of these other games need better gameplay like the dungeon crawlers, these in turn don't have interesting stories or other elements whatsoever. Where's the middle ground!!!

People say I should check out the Icewind Dales, but I dunno.

There's some random newer games I want to check out like Divinity: Original Sin, but yeah.

Okay okay, do you guys want some good news?

ULTIMA UNDERWORLD!!!

Now here's one I played just a few years back that I loved the hell out of. Tons of bias here though, as the original Thief games, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc are some of my favorite games of all time... so to go back and see where they pulled their blueprints from, was amazing. I'm a Doom fanatic to the core, but it was amazing to see what these games could do in comparison. Dialogue choice, item management, being able to draw on the map (why is this not possible in most games?!?!), weird pseudo physics, etc. Had a blast with this one and I hear 2 is an improvement in a lot of ways, I still need to check it out.

Wanted to check out Arx Fatalis but sadly the two times I tried running it it was just a glitch fest and didn't work correctly.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Loved Fallout 1 and 2 when I was younger mainly for their humor and freedom. I can't really get into them today.

I only started liking The Elder Scrolls games with Oblivion. With both that and Skyrim I enjoyed going through the vanilla game and getting the story but after that I was done with them.

Knights of the Old Republic was my intro to BioWare. It restored my faith in Star Wars as a franchise when I first played it and is the main reason I've played The Old Republic MMO. I still have the Mass Effect games and the first Dragon Age sitting on my backlog. I tried to get through Mass Effect once but didn't get very far before losing interest.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:I tried to get through Mass Effect once but didn't get very far before losing interest.

I'd like to think I know my way around the Mass Effect series. I went through the games a number of times. What made you lose interest? Was it on the first game?
Ack

by Ack Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am

So Might and Magic...

It seems like of the 9 original games, games 1-5 are one story, 6-8 are a second story, and 9 is its own story, while the recently released 10th game is totally separate. Is this similar to how Ultima operates in loose sets of trilogies? As in I could start at certain points to "begin" the story from there without worrying about previous entries?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:56 am

Yeah, the different groups are pretty independent (I think M&M6 has some very minor references to earlier games). There's also a rather large gameplay difference between the 1-5 group and the 6-8 group; the latter is when things switched to more of a free roam rather than grid based. 10 goes back to turn and grid based like the 1-5 series, but since it was a Ubisoft production it's in the Ubisoft universe, so there's no story connections to the earlier games. 1-5 and 6-8 are tied by a shared universe like how Ultima 1-3 and 4-6 are.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:00 pm

So if I were to just jump in, it would be easier to do it at 1, 6, and 9 in terms of separate storylines?

I'm having a similar issue with Ultima. I want to play through the various storylines, but certain games interest me more than others, so doing a straight shot through the whole series isn't as appealing. M&M seems the same way, as I think I would prefer to start with a later entry than one of the earliest, just because I know there is a major transition and the later titles are closer to what I'm used to.

Does Wizardry have the same kind of plot grouping across entries?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Wizardry is 1-3, 4 (which is related to 1), 5, 6-8. 1-3 is a very very loose trilogy; 1 and 2 are independent stories but using the same party (literally, 2 doesn't have a character creation system; you must import from 1), and 3 uses the descendants of the party (it does have character creation but the descendants start off higher leveled and won't get destroyed as badly). 4's relation to 1 is that you play as the bad guy of 1 sometime after the conclusion of 1. 5 is utterly independent, 6-8 is a fairly continuous story as I understand it (and again, there's party import feature, but I don't believe it's as necessary).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Those are the mainline games. But there are so many other Wizardry games on many platforms from myriad Japanese developers:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=wizardry

It gets really confusing knowing what's what or what's related. But the vast majority of those Japanese developed Wizardry games never got an English release so I guess it hardly matters.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to RPG