Collecting the Dragon Quest Series

Level up here
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Collecting the Dragon Quest Series

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:With VII, VIII, and IX you don't really have an option. :lol:

Dragon Quest VIII is available for iOS; so, you can play it on your tablet. The port was well-received, and since the thought of playing a 50+ hour RPG on my television is a bit daunting, I have considered purchasing it.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:With VII, VIII, and IX you don't really have an option. :lol:

Dragon Quest VIII is available for iOS; so, you can play it on your tablet. The port was well-received, and since the thought of playing a 50+ hour RPG on my television is a bit daunting, I have considered purchasing it.

we do not speak of the iOS port, it is awful. Game has terrible slow down, can only be played in vertical mode, horrible DRM. Such a shame :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOKt47pjaRE
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I know virtually nothing about iOS games. I don't own a tablet and my flip phone isn't even equipped with a camera. :lol:

Anyway, any hope for the 3DS version of DQVII making its way to the States?

(funny to see this thread, as my daughter and I just fired up Dragon Warrior this afternoon)
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

I've always been back and forth on the Retron 5, especially now that it can apply IPS patches, but at that point I feel like I might as well just be emulating again. I'm going to go the all-Gameboy route though, I think that'd look nice... except for 7/8 of course.

As for any hope of a US release of 7 on 3DS... I'd love it. Haven't heard anything official but there's this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-n ... s/71338446
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

ninjainspandex wrote:we do not speak of the iOS port, it is awful. Game has terrible slow down, can only be played in vertical mode, horrible DRM. Such a shame :(

You're ill-informed, ninja.

-What DRM? You can play without any internet connection. Yeah, you can't copy/paste the game onto someone else's phone, but that's like every digital service ever.

-PS2 has slowdown and screen tearing. It runs better on my tablet than the PS2 (and the visuals put the PS2 component to shame)

-Yeah, locked to vertical. It does suck but the port was really meant primarily for phone-play (they even released a limited edition phone in Japan for it).

While it does have its shortcomings (no VA, midi music, needs a newer phone/tablet to run it) it does make up for it with enhanced visuals and cloud saving. It's a solid port for those that don't want to hunt down a working PS2.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If you're not playing Dragon Quest II on original NES/Famicom hardware with no save states then you're a weak girly man.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm legitimately interested in playing I & II on the MSX someday.

They're cartridges which sweetens the deal quite a bit.

Curse my lack of disposable income.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ninjainspandex wrote:I really really wish they would port DQ8 to the 3DS

Even if they did, we wouldn't get it in English.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:since the thought of playing a 50+ hour RPG on my television is a bit daunting

It's more like a 65+ hour game at least, that's if you use a walkthrough, avoid sidequests, and don't even bother with the post game content. I just beat it myself two months ago and had almost 70 hours in it.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyway, any hope for the 3DS version of DQVII making its way to the States?

Nope. I finally just put ePXSe on my Droid phone and put ISOs of my PS1 copy on there. Runs like a charm and now I've got portable DQVII afterall so suck it Nintendo.
Opa Opa wrote:-Yeah, locked to vertical. It does suck

Only being able to see DQ8's sweeping magnificent vistas in such a slim vantage point would be a travesty. This game deserves to be played in widescreen, which the PS2 version proudly supports.

-

OP I think you'll be fine with the GBC and DS versions overall. Might as well pick up DQIX on the DS as well to complete the set.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

MrPopo wrote:If you're not playing Dragon Quest II on original NES/Famicom hardware with no save states then you're a weak girly man.

Well said. There is a certain thrill to escaping a dungeon by the skin of your teeth with 2 dead party members with your loot intact and limping back to town. It made a man out of me I can tell you.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm a huge fan of the entire series. I'll echo the sentiment of others that the best option for collecting is probably to just track down and play the handheld remakes for the first six! And just a heads-up: Dragon Quest II is generally considered the worst of the series, don't let it turn you off from DQ III which is hands-down my #1 favorite 8-bit RPG.

And even though it seems to get overlooked a lot, I highly recommend Dragon Quest Monsters if you have any interest in Pokemon-style games. I've only played the first one but I liked it way more than Pokemon.