Final Fantasy IIj: How often do you have to hit yourself?

Level up here
dogman91
128-bit

Final Fantasy IIj: How often do you have to hit yourself?

Post by dogman91 »

I'm talking about the original Final Fantasy II; specifically the remake on FF Origins for the Playstation.

I'm at the beginning of the game (the third town), and I really don't like the idea of getting more max HP by being hit. The "easiest" strategy for leveling that I know of is to lose half your HP on purpose then "decide" to win the battle. :evil:

I'm wondering if this becomes a rampant necessity towards the middle or end of the game; grinding this out and basically teetering on losing each battle to gain max experience. :roll:
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy IIj: How often do you have to hit yourself

Post by Nemoide »

You have to hit yourself a lot.
The game's system is DUMB. When you want to do grinding late in the game, the best strategy is find a weak monster and TOTALLY IGNORE IT, just attacking/healing your party instead. It's been a long time since I played it but I remember grinding being pretty necessary.

Oh, and do you know what your reward is for beating the game? NORMAL MODE UNLOCKED. YEP, the game surprises you by saying you were playing on EASY the whole time and never even knew it. Bleh, I wasn't a fan of that game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The PSP version was the only one I cared for.

You still had to hit yourself though.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I played through the game on FF Origins (PS1) some years back. I always considered it sparring with your teammates :wink: .

I don't remember having to grind a lot, maybe a couple times for the whole game. I liked fighting the guards in one of the beginning towns for fire bows. so I may have gone overboard and overpowered my characters.

I can't remember if it was an "easy" mode or not.

Been meaning to play through the game on PSP sometime, but I think I'll take on FFIV Complete before I get to it (have a save started already, but am very early in the game).
...just another lost soul...
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Well seeing myself LOSE stat points after winning a fight is making me want to try a different RPG. -_- Can anything save this or should I move on?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dogman91 wrote:Well seeing myself LOSE stat points after winning a fight is making me want to try a different RPG. -_- Can anything save this or should I move on?

So in the original the reason for that is the game essentially forces you to pick "mage" or "fighter" for each character. Gaining mage stats lowers your fighter stats, and vice versa.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

IMO the only reason for playing the 8-bit Final Fantasy games is morbid curiosity and/or bragging rights.

If you want to play a good 8-bit RPG, try Dragon Quest/Warrior III.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nemoide wrote:IMO the only reason for playing the 8-bit Final Fantasy games is morbid curiosity and/or bragging rights.

Hey! I actually like all of the 8-bit Final Fantasy games! (I will agree that Dragon Quest III is the best 8-bit RPG, however.)
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Nemoide wrote:IMO the only reason for playing the 8-bit Final Fantasy games is morbid curiosity and/or bragging rights.

Hey! I actually like all of the 8-bit Final Fantasy games! (I will agree that Dragon Quest III is the best 8-bit RPG, however.)

I like Dragon Warrior IV better, but all DQ/DW NES games are worth playing IMO.

And call it nostalgia, but...
The original Final Fantasy is still awesome for me. I replay it as often as anything really.

And I actually prefer the style of FFIIIj over the 3D remake style. Was bummed that the GBA never got a port in the same style as Dawn of Souls. But the rom translation of the famicom game is good enough.
...just another lost soul...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Final Fantasy II is really solid. The bizarre leveling system becomes easy enough to decipher and exploit. I dig it. For all the flak the game gets I think it's infinitely more playable than something like Final Fantasy X-2, XII, or XIII.