King's Field - Original Japan Release

Level up here
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: King's Field - Original Japan Release

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Loving this thread!

I recently got curious about King's Field myself, and started up the first game released here (The 2nd game), since I figured that's where I would have started, were I savvy enough to have played this as a kid.

Its wonderful. I never make it far, but I have a blast exploring the game every time I load it up. Like Souls, I really enjoy the mixture of an open-world feel with several linear paths. I love a game that kills me in just about every area, because I feel like I am given more opportunity to learn and enjoy each section of the game.

Definitely want to dig deeper into this series.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I love a game that kills me in just about every area, because I feel like I am given more opportunity to learn and enjoy each section of the game.

As far as From Software first person RPGs go, I have personally finished King's Field IV and Eternal Ring. Both of them had what King's Field (Japan) has... tremendous atmosphere and a succinct respect for the player's intelligence. So in regards to what I quoted above, the games have zero hand holding. You're dropped into their worlds with nothing but the barest essentials and your own wits to see you through. This means exploration is at maximum... you absolutely have no idea what lies ahead of you. And it means that every victory is earned by your effort alone, the games hand nothing to you for free. Does this sound familiar to Souls series fans? It should, those games are pretty much simply third person King's Field on steroids. But the King's Field games still hold up even without modern graphics!

For posterity's sake, here's From Software's output in the realm of first person RPGs:

(PS1) King's Field (Japan only, English translation available)
(PS1) King's Field II aka King's Field outside Japan
(PS1) King's Field III: Pilot Style (Japan only, English translation available)
(PS1) King's Field III aka King's Field II outside Japan
(PS1) Shadow Tower
(PS2) Eternal Ring
(PS2) King's Field IV: The Ancient City
(PS2) Shadow Tower Abyss (Japan only, English translation available)
(PSP) King's Field: Additional I (Japan only, no current translation)
(PSP) King's Field: Additional II (Japan only, no current translation)

For a time From Software was also fond of making first person horror adventure games:

(PS1) Echo Night
(PS1) Echo Night 2 (Japan only, no current translation)
(PS2) Echo Night: Beyond

The best I can tell From Software hasn't made a first person game since 2006. With the massive success of their third person action games I don't think this is going to change any time soon. I don't have a problem with third person stuff, but you can't beat first person for immersion's sake. It's a big part of why the King's Field games just suck you into their worlds.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Of those, I have more experience with the Echo Night series, but I think they're great games. It's a shame they no longer make them and released only about half of what they did make in both Echo Night and King's Field outside of Japan.

I think I'm going to try tracking down a copy of the first Echo Night sometime...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I've been hoping they would go back to first person sometime soon. It'll make Skyrim look like a joke.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:I've been hoping they would go back to first person sometime soon. It'll make Skyrim look like a joke.

If nothing else, just include the ability in Bloodborne to push a button to switch between first and third person viewpoints on the fly. Let the player decide how they want to view the world dynamically. Everybody wins.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Exhuminator wrote:I was thinking some more about this. IIRC you can read Japanese to an extent, and you like to actually import the real deal games. In that case, the easiest way to play Japanese PSX games would be to just pop a legit disc in your computer's disc drive, and play it using pSX. pSX is much simpler to use than ePSXe if you don't mind the lack of artificial visual upgrades. Then you could map a controller like this in the emulator and be all set.

Thanks. No idea why I didn't think of this earlier. I do use an emulator to play import PS2 games, after all.

This looks like a great game to import.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm watching gameplay footage of King's Field, but I'm having trouble deciphering what is happening in combat. Is there any sort of visual or auditory indicator that your attack has hit? The critters seem to make noise, but I can't tell if they are attacking or taking damage.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:Is there any sort of visual or auditory indicator that your attack has hit?

With the original King's Field (Japan) it's a bit strange in that regard. Sometimes the enemies will cry out in pain when you hit them, but some do not. They have no life bars depleting on screen. You don't hear your weapon whacking upon them either. But rest assured if you are up close to an enemy and you are swinging on them, you are hurting them. Later King's Field games became more obvious about combat feedback thankfully.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

So I've got about 10 hours in this now, enjoying it more with each play. Figured it was time to share some screenshots:
My current level.

I think it's pretty cool in the game that weapons and armor don't have numerical stats attached to them. You literally just have to look at equipment and decide visually what looks more powerful and go with that. Weapon types matter too as some enemies are more vulnerable to say a sword rather than a mace. It's like that with magic attacks too.

Typical descent into unknown darkness moment from the game. The absolute lack of knowing what lies ahead in the pitch black is a big motivator for exploration.

You can find maps in the game. As you can see the levels are no straight simple corridor bullshit. This is oldschool 90's 3D level design with recursive path finding and hidden doors galore. Notice on that screenshot I'm somewhere that's not even drawn on the map... and that's the second version of the map I had found for that area! From Software loves their secrets.

There are all kinds of traps in this game. This poor sod fell victim to one. HE IS DEAD
Traps also work against monsters if you are clever enough to corral them into one.

Luckily if you're careful and explore fully you can find plenty of power ups and health restoratives in hidden recesses of the world.

There are also quite a few NPCs to talk with. Some will help you, some will lie to you. You never know who can be trusted in King's Field.

You always know where you stand with the monsters though, they just want you dead. These giant red scorpions will poison you with glee.

Clay golems prefer the simple approach of just smashing your skull in.

Lizard men sword fight you and can also cast fireballs from a mile away. Luckily there's no friendly fire in King's Field. Enemies can accidentally hurt or kill each other with the attacks they meant to hit you with. I often use this to my advantage.

Blue demons are no joke though. They can use wind magic that will tear you to shreds, claw at you super fast, and do a tail roundhouse swipe that will kill you quick.

Well that's just a small sampling of what I've seen in King's Field (Japan). What started as a scholarly curiosity for me has turned into quite the adventure so far. While technologically impressive graphics always have an expiration date, good game design is eternal. Thankfully From Software knew this from the start with their very first game.

Bonus interesting read: http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/02/from-ki ... ark-souls/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's on the PSX? Doesn't look too bad.