The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Level up here
Opa Opa

Re: The Witcher 3 comes out next year. This series any good?

Post by Opa Opa »

Ack wrote:I wouldn't say that. If I had a cloth map, I'd likely be studying it, plotting where I want to go well in advance. For instance, I had a map with Morrowind, and I used it to plan from the start which cities I wanted to go to, main quest line be damned! Oblivion was a similar case. I really enjoy maps for large, open-world environments, because I can study them and see where I want to explore while doing something totally different in the game or not playing at all.

In-game maps for open-world games have gotten better in recent years. I only opened Oblivion's map once just to take a glance. Never needed it quite like Morrowind's.

The other Witcher 3 CE's come with a map too. A paper map though, not cloth.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Opa Opa wrote:
Ack wrote:I wouldn't say that. If I had a cloth map, I'd likely be studying it, plotting where I want to go well in advance. For instance, I had a map with Morrowind, and I used it to plan from the start which cities I wanted to go to, main quest line be damned! Oblivion was a similar case. I really enjoy maps for large, open-world environments, because I can study them and see where I want to explore while doing something totally different in the game or not playing at all.

In-game maps for open-world games have gotten better in recent years. I only opened Oblivion's map once just to take a glance. Never needed it quite like Morrowind's.

The other Witcher 3 CE's come with a map too. A paper map though, not cloth.

Sure, but sometimes I don't want the map in the game, I want it sitting on my lap or on the wall by my computer to study while I'm doing something else in the game. A paper map will do though!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Been meaning to start the first game for three or four months now...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:Been meaning to start the first game for three or four months now...

Yeah, me too...I'm increasingly thinking I may just jump straight to the second, though.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Witcher 1 is a 2008 PC game, so it has some issues both graphically and mechanically, but the game is one of the best I have ever played. Graphically I mean things like weapons will slide through other objects, and the dreaded pop up textures. However if you are a fan of fantasy, the game will grip you and rip you apart. I mean it has some clunkiness, that is fixed in Witcher 2, but it is an awesome experience.

Witcher 2 makes my computer hurt.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The combat is very different between the first and second game. The first game's combat is just clicking to a particular rhythm, sort of a slightly more challenging Diablo 1. The second game's combat is third person melee action that took me a little while to get comfortable with; it can be very unforgiving early on, especially against groups.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I read somewhere you can play the first game entirely w a mouse? No kb. Is that true?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Been meaning to start the first game for three or four months now...

Yeah, me too...I'm increasingly thinking I may just jump straight to the second, though.

Everyone tells me to do just this.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:I read somewhere you can play the first game entirely w a mouse? No kb. Is that true?

Pretty much. During combat you probably want to use a couple keyboard keys to switch signs (magic) or your combat stance, but you can still get away with doing entirely mouse.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Also, don't let the first 3 hours of the first game turn you off if you do decide to play it. It takes a while to pick up steam.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.