Bloodborne thread (formerly Project Beast)

Level up here
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Bloodborne thread (formerly Project Beast)

Post by Pulsar_t »

Man, I only played this one only once, got splattered at the very beginning. I'm intimidated to go back frankly :x
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Keep going! Death is just part of playing this game.

2015's GotY.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's the easiest of the Souls series. :P
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I've picked it up and I've been trudging along. I just beat Rom, and I'm keeping it moving from there.

I have to say, out of all the Soulsborne games, this has been my favorite I've tried. I think the difference is the speed of combat, it's fast yet tactical. It makes me think I should try Dark Souls 3, but I'm not sure.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I have to say, out of all the Soulsborne games, this has been my favorite I've tried. I think the difference is the speed of combat, it's fast yet tactical. It makes me think I should try Dark Souls 3, but I'm not sure.

DS3 is certainly the most like Bloodborne out of the rest of the games. It's faster than the other Souls titles, and rolls are both effective and carry a relatively low Stamina cost, especially compared to DS2.
Additionally, the Poise stat works differently. Bonuses to it aren't full-time, instead only taking effect during (mostly) attack animations for heavy weapons. While this does mean that you can't gear up to just tank through a ton of hits (a la Havel strategies for stuff like Four Kings in DS1), it also means that a lot of enemies are fairly susceptible to stagger as well, including a lot of the bosses. Again, not exactly like Bloodborne, since that tends to favor hammering on specific limbs or something to stagger...but it's reminiscent of it at least. The downside in DS3 is that it really tends to favor certain weapon classes, like 1h swords, and quicker attacks via R1 spam.

There are some other similar elements, like having vendors consolidated in your home base (effectively), with similar mechanisms to gain new items - badges in Bloodborne and ashes in DS3. A big nicety for DS3 is that common consumables, like resins, are very cheap via vendor, with an unlimited amount to purchase once you've found the right ashes.
A few of the enemies and bosses in DS3 seem pulled from Bloodborne as well - it's pretty much a "best of" for the series as is, with things you could trace back to Demon's Souls as well, but still. Very much worth giving a shot I'd say.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

RED ALERT!

Just saw that Bloodborne is free for PSN members this month.

Don't be cute. You know what to do.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."