RPG's Big on Exploration

Level up here
ded srs
16-bit

RPG's Big on Exploration

Post by ded srs »

Not content just playing Bethesda RPG's and MMO's, I want to find other rpg's with large sprawling worlds that are open to explore. Preferably from 3rd or 1st person. It's a bit harder to appreciate the scope of the game world from like an isometric angle, unless you have a recommendation that you think will totally change my mind. Games can have their big, fancy story about orcs and dragons, but what's the point putting it in a fantastical universe if it can't be adequately explored? Preferably on the player's terms.

I've been looking at the Gothic games, but I don't know how big it's world is, and if it's really worth running around in. Anyway, simple criteria: Open World, encourages or rewards exploring in some way (even if the reward is just a feeling of awe at your surroundings).
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: RPG's Big on Exploration

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yes, the Gothic games are a must. Especially part 3. Risen, by the same developer, is also very good.

Mount & Blade is a lot of fun too. You can find the "Collection" for pretty cheap, I always see it at my local Target.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

Xenoblade?
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yes, the Gothic games are a must. Especially part 3. Risen, by the same developer, is also very good.

Mount & Blade is a lot of fun too. You can find the "Collection" for pretty cheap, I always see it at my local Target.

Mount & Blade really doesn't have much in the way of exploration, though. The battlefields are generated, the landscape itself you have full explored from the get go in terms of what towns are there, and the towns themselves are uninteresting (most of what you do can be done just from menus). If he's looking for exploreable worlds like the Elder Scrolls games then he'd probably be disappointed with Mount & Blade in that respect.

Not really RPGs, but the Starflight games and Star Control 2 have a major exploration component to them. You need to make your way through the galaxy to find alien life and artifacts on other worlds, as well as finding mineral resources to fuel the expedition.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Two Worlds, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Divinity, Kingdom of Amalur, Fable, Borderlands somewhat...
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Good Open World RPGS: Fable series, Dragon Age series, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series., Demon Souls/Dark Souls series

Games that may be light on the RPG elements but have plenty of exploration: Dead Risiing, GTA series (Games starting with San Andreas had some light RPG elements) , Saints Row series, Far Cry Series (Can't remember if 2 had skills that you could level but 3 definitely did)
Gamejammers1992

Post by Gamejammers1992 »

It's on the PC but I highly suggest everybody checks out Age of pirates 2 City of abandoned ships,the most realistic and authentic pirate RPG in my opinion assassins creed 5 has nothing on AOP.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
cward24
16-bit

Post by cward24 »

CavZee wrote:Xenoblade?

+1
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Kingdoms of Amalur is an open world RPG that gets overlooked more often than it should.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry