Lightning Returns is.. pretty good?!

Level up here
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Lightning Returns is.. pretty good?!

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3/ps3-preview ... onest.html

I guess my own personal question is, will this be acceptable to people who have "moved on" from the extravagant storytelling that plagued previous FF entries?
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Lightning Returns is.. pretty good?!

Post by Sload Soap »

There was a demo on xbox live but it seemed to be taken down quite quickly. Might be back up now.

Destructoid said it's like the good bits of FF13 fleshed out. Too many of the "garbs" look like horrible pervy fan service to me though.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Was The Last Odyssey the er, last mainstream JRPG not to offer such otaku bile?

Come to think of it, Dragon's Dogma didn't have unisexed hipster gratuitous bullshit either :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

I'll be playing it eventually. Looks like a fun game.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks terrible like the rest of them. With games like Bravely Default coming out I have no reason to play this.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Looks terrible like the rest of them. With games like Bravely Default coming out I have no reason to play this.

I am honestly more interested in Lightning Returns than Bravely Default. But that could change. :lol: Still haven't tried the BD demo!
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

XIII-2 was good. The demo for this was fun. Gonna be good.

Story will be hilariously bad.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

The demo has led me to believe the game is quite promising. I'm a bit shocked. The combat system works well and is satisfying, you can customize costumes on the fly and you can swap around equipment between the garbs for potentially thousands of different combinations. So if say you don't like the hat the Red Mage is wearing, swap it out for a nice beret or tiara.

The demo doesn't really show how the 13 day time limit will pan out though for obvious reasons. And there is excessive levels of Hope and Snow.

But yeah, colour me shocked. I hated FF13 but this has my interest.

Pulsar_t wrote:Was The Last Odyssey the er, last mainstream JRPG not to offer such otaku bile?

Come to think of it, Dragon's Dogma didn't have unisexed hipster gratuitous bullshit either :lol:
Dragon's Dogma tries to ape western games where being pretty is a sign of weakness that must be purged with muscles and shouting. I guess Ming in LO is the closest to fan service and even then great detail went into making her boobs look veiny and realistic. Not that I was paying attention to that sort of thing. :oops:
Last edited by Sload Soap on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That picture of derpy Lightning is really cute.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Normally, I despise any game that has you fighting a clock, but as long as there is a new game plus it's all cool with me. And like all FF games, there will eventually be a gamefaq detailing every correct thing to do as you play through the game, likely before we even see the game in the states. I'm so happy to see that new game plus is becoming more of a normal thing in FF games, even if it's only in sequels.

I would replace this statement:

"JRPGs are very particular games, but the true crux of a JRPG is not its nonsense storyline or spiky-haired teens with amnesia. No, in fact a good JRPG can often be judged by the amount of time you spend in a menu, fretting over numbers."

with

"JRPGs are very particular games, but the true crux of a JRPG is not its nonsense storyline or spiky-haired teens with amnesia. No, in fact a good JRPG can often be judged by how good it's combat system is."

which I think is what they were trying to say

It would be nice to get a FF game with an actual good story, but as long as the combat system still rocks, and the window dressing is nice (graphics and audio), they will have my money
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.