Final Fantasy VI iOS Catching Flak

Level up here
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Final Fantasy VI iOS Catching Flak

Post by casterofdreams »

And it isn't even out yet. I'm not making a big deal mind you but I'm interested in some opinions from the community. The issue I've gathered is that the graphics have been redone and are smoothed out. In other words as some have pointed out, it lost its graphical charm from the original sprite work. I don't mind this though. FFVI was a great game and to play it again since I no longer own it is a great opportunity for me. I picked up I through V on iOS over it's initial releases and I have no complaints. I and II are from the PSP versions and III and IV are the DS remakes. And V caught similar flak too.

So y'all like the look? Hate the look? Don't care for the look?

Here is the article that triggered all that up there: http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantas ... ode=mobile
(Its a mobile site of destructoid sorry in advance)
Opa Opa

Re: Final Fantasy VI iOS Catching Flak

Post by Opa Opa »

I actually can't wait to play this version. The characters look more humanoid this time instead of like rectangles. :lol: I hope they program it with retina displays in mind.

I welcome change from time to time. If I want the ol' sprites I can always boot up the snes cart.

Have they set a release date yet?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

The new graphics just plain don't look very good. It's not just because they were changed, either. The PSP version of Final Fantasy IV had all new sprites done for it and that one looked fantastic.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ewww, those sprites look terrible on the old backgrounds (which don't appear to have been redone). The proportions are all off.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks awful.

They should have gone balls-out and done a full-scale 3DS remake. That's what everyone wants.
sakicfan84
24-bit

Post by sakicfan84 »

The new characters seem way to vibrant compared to the drab environments in the game. For the most, the game has a very dark atmosphere; the characters stick out like a sore thumb.

Beyond the graphics, I haven't found a console-to-cellular port that I actually felt comfortable playing. The controls are always off to the point where I can never get into them. I have Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger for the iOS, and the controls kept me out of all of them. I haven't bought any games after those. I just don't see a virtual d-pad ever coming anywhere near the original level of control these games had. I don't even want to think of the fun I would have pulling off some of Sabin's blitzes with the mobile controls.

I wouldn't mind a quality port of FFVI. This doesn't fit that bill for me though. I've played the originals too much to suffer through these cellular versions. No thank you.
X-Fire: ezsblehman
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

The graphics look worse than the SNES version, its like they made them all brighter and it doesnt look as detailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw4qdEAWBFo
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

No.....just no. And is no one going to mention the very ugly heads in the textbox?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ZeroAX wrote:No.....just no. And is no one going to mention the very ugly heads in the textbox?

You mean the Amano art that Square has been putting into the old FF games when characters talk? That I have no problem with.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:No.....just no. And is no one going to mention the very ugly heads in the textbox?

You mean the Amano art that Square has been putting into the old FF games when characters talk? That I have no problem with.

I didn't mind them in the GBA version, but here they too have been "smoothed" which makes them look really bad....or I'm just an old grumpy man who doesn't like his childhood memories being changed, so what do I know? xD
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.