Level up here
CavZee
Next-Gen

Re: Tales of Xillia (and other "Tales of" games)

by CavZee Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 am

ZeroAX wrote:Still waiting for lisalover to post :P.

I have only played Tales of Symphonia. The gameplay was great, I loved that it still had an overworld (unlike FF), but the story and characters were.....yeah....

That's another thing. No world map in Xillia. =[
Vesperia had a world map, why not this?

I actually thought Symphonia's story was pretty good. Especially if you've played Phantasia which Symphonia is a prequel to.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am

CavZee wrote:I actually thought Symphonia's story was pretty good. Especially if you've played Phantasia which Symphonia is a prequel to.

lol what? I didn't know that. Now I want to check Phantasia :D.

No world map? .....:(. That sucks....
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 am

The stories in all these games are terrible. The amusing character interactions (and "skits") is what makes them worth playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv78VKZOu8
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm

ZeroAX wrote:Still waiting for lisalover to post :P.

I have only played Tales of Symphonia. The gameplay was great, I loved that it still had an overworld (unlike FF), but the story and characters were.....yeah....

Did someone call for the super-duper Tales fan? :D

As for recommendations, I would recommend starting off with Symphonia, as it is arguably the most accessible (It will also be getting an HD remake on the PS3 soon, if you don't feel like hunting down a GC copy). Abyss is also excellent, but the battle system takes a bit more effort to master due to its added nuance. Vesperia is also a blast, and you really can't go wrong with any of the flagship Tales games, in general. The only reason I recommend Symphonia above the others is that I find it to be the most accessible, and that I'm totally biased due to it being the first game in the series I played. :P

One thing to note is that there are two types of Tales games: 2D and 3D. This generally just pertains to the battle systems; in the 2D games, all your characters fight on the same 2D plane (Phantasia, Destiny, Legendia, Eternia, etc.), whereas different characters occupy different linear planes in the 3D ones (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces, Xillia, etc.). You can switch your planes on the fly be retargeting, and some later titles actually allow for free-running, such as in Vesperia. Neither system is inherently better; it's just a matter of preference.

One last thing; if you regularly play games with friends, try the multiplayer. Being a 4-player multiplayer RPG has always been a distinct hallmark of the Tales series, and it is a blast if you are able to take down a tough boss with some good friends. :)
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
CavZee
Next-Gen

by CavZee Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:28 pm

I really liked Phantasia. I also think I borrowed Destiny from a friend many years ago, but don't remember getting very far. I want to check it out again sometime. ToD2 on PS1 is actually Eternia, correct?

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The stories in all these games are terrible. The amusing character interactions (and "skits") is what makes them worth playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv78VKZOu8

Terrible is a bit strong of a word, but you are right about the character interactions. The games are enjoyable because of the journey you have with characters as well as the real time combat. Xillia has certainly succeeded in the skits department so far, I will say that.

One more thing, the visuals in this game seem to come across as being a lot more bland than the way Vesperia was presented. It's got less of an "anime filter", and I miss that. =/
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:50 pm

About 20 hours into Tales of the Abyss & think it's pretty good. Just made it through a pretty tough dungeon. Like most Tales games, the story is out there but not too generic. Action battle system is a cool change up from turn based series which I tend to prefer.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Dungeons in Abyss are...tough?

I might be up for that.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:37 am

Yeah I don't get it, with how much steam this series has picked up over time and continues to carry a good budget, you'd think they'd high a good writer or two that could take that stuff to another level.

In the end I think it is probably one of the biggest reasons why I've never finished a single Tales game. The gameplay is always fantastic, but the story is just so safe and bare bones, maybe too frequent in some cases too? I was definitely feeling that in Graces F after a bit, it wasn't the battles that felt like a grind, but the cutscenes... but I agree the character interactions and skits are great. Would just be even better if things beyond that were a bit more interesting. lol

This is like Sesume Street compared to Suikoden / Tactics Ogre / Fire Emblem stuff (thinking of war based JRPG's here).

But yeah can't wait to get Xilia. :roll: :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 am

Bought Vesperia off eBay. Have no clue how much I'm going to enjoy it once I actually get it. Don't care. Looked like it might be fun and I've been pining for an RPG. :lol:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
CavZee
Next-Gen

by CavZee Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Bought Vesperia off eBay. Have no clue how much I'm going to enjoy it once I actually get it. Don't care. Looked like it might be fun and I've been pining for an RPG. :lol:

It's pretty good. Not my favorite Tales game, but it has an actual world map which Xillia is missing, and it sure is purdy to look at.
Return to RPG