Tales of Xillia (and other "Tales of" games)

Level up here
Stark
Next-Gen

Tales of Xillia (and other "Tales of" games)

Post by Stark »

So what's the deal with these? Are they like Final Fantasy and games aren't really linked together in any way? Could I just start with Xillia? I've heard of a few others like Tales of Graces and Tales of Symphonia. If it is like FF and you can start wherever what are the standouts in the series?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Tales of Xillia (and other "Tales of" games)

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:So what's the deal with these? Are they like Final Fantasy and games aren't really linked together in any way? Could I just start with Xillia? I've heard of a few others like Tales of Graces and Tales of Symphonia. If it is like FF and you can start wherever what are the standouts in the series?

Most are not linked at all.

I like the original Phantasia a lot. Symphonia is a very popular one and so is abyss. I hear Vesperia and Graces are solid too. I think the only one considered terrible is tales of the world.

You should be able to just start with xillia if you like.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

It looks like Phantasia is a GBA game, right?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Stark wrote:So what's the deal with these? Are they like Final Fantasy and games aren't really linked together in any way? Could I just start with Xillia? I've heard of a few others like Tales of Graces and Tales of Symphonia. If it is like FF and you can start wherever what are the standouts in the series?

There's the occasional actual sequel, but the only one that's been seen in the US is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. The game known as "Tales of Destiny 2" in the US is actually Tales of Eternia (they renamed due to fears of a trademark dispute with He-Man). And then to confuse things, in Japan there actually is a sequel to Tales of Destiny.

But yes, to answer your original question they're like Final Fantasy. Just grab any one that seems interesting/has reviews and you're good to go.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:It looks like Phantasia is a GBA game, right?

It was originally a SFC game. It has a nice translation and they make repros for it. The GBA game is the only localized version. I haven't played it yet so not sure how good that version is.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:

It was originally a SFC game. It has a nice translation and they make repros for it. The GBA game is the only localized version. I haven't played it yet so not sure how good that version is.

The PS1 version has a translation patch, BTW.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jmustang1968 wrote:

The quality of the voices is pretty terrible, to be honest. But aside from that it's fine. I think it even added a character that wasn't in the SFC original. It's really up to you to decide which one you want to go with.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

The PS1 version has a translation patch, BTW.

Yeah I forgot about that. I even have a burned copy sitting in my modded ps1 lol. The only burned game I have for it ha.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Thanks for the info! I think I might see what are available for the Vita for the PSP store. Most of my RPG gaming is done on handhelds now.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

There are TWO Tales of games for the Vita. Namco announced that neither would come here. Probably due to poor Vita sales.. Thanks Namco. I wish Sony would step in and support these releases because you're not going to sell more systems without games.

Xillia looks pretty good. I bought it but haven't started yet. The only other one I've played was Graces f, but the characters and story were not very good, IMO. Great combat system though. I hear that Xillia is better in the story/characters section. That is why I'm giving it a shot.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo