Anyone else want a genre-shift back to RPGs?

Level up here
AppleQueso

Re: Anyone else want a genre-shift back to RPGs?

Post by AppleQueso »

Robonaut wrote:Actually, I thought Valkyia Chronicles was a perfect example of what not to do.

The combat system was terrible. When I'm playing a SRPG, I want to be able to take my time and think through each move. When I've got every enemy in sight shooting at me non-stop while I plan my moves, it kind of ruins the experience.

You're a bad man.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Robonaut wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Again, I bring up Valkyria Chronicles as a great example of a game that could reach those types of fans while still trying new things to move the genre forward a bit. Playing that game was such a wonderfully unique experience, and that game was classy too. Any game that includes a Japanese language option over a silly dub gets a thumbs up from me. That's a game that had all its bases covered, unlike a lot of half-assed releases these days

Actually, I thought Valkyia Chronicles was a perfect example of what not to do.

The combat system was terrible. When I'm playing a SRPG, I want to be able to take my time and think through each move. When I've got every enemy in sight shooting at me non-stop while I plan my moves, it kind of ruins the experience.

(I will say that I appreciated the option to have Japanese voices, though.)

Actually, I think that's a strength of the genre that it can include both a completely turn-based strategy style which allows for slow planning and deep thinking while also enabling the incorporation of real time elements to influence decisions made during play. For me, this points to the genre trying new things and continuing to develop, as opposed to simply presenting the same formula SRPGs have been trying since the days of Fire Emblem on the Famicom.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I like my JRPGs on handhelds.

The handheld RPGs of old were a pain due to poor battery life and lack of backlight, but those aren't problems anymore.

I still want a front/back-lit GBC, where is ChooChooBot!

Also Xseed an awesome Publisher right now, keep up the good work!
Robonaut
8-bit

Post by Robonaut »

Ack wrote:Actually, I think that's a strength of the genre that it can include both a completely turn-based strategy style which allows for slow planning and deep thinking while also enabling the incorporation of real time elements to influence decisions made during play. For me, this points to the genre trying new things and continuing to develop, as opposed to simply presenting the same formula SRPGs have been trying since the days of Fire Emblem on the Famicom.

But as soon as you start incorporating real-time elements, it becomes a very different style of game.

There is more than enough different things you can do in a turn-based system that you don't need to go branching off into real-time to be innovative.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Also, in VC, you should probably be planning out your movements while looking at the overhead map, before you start actually moving your troops...

There's plenty of time to plan in the game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Robonaut wrote:
Ack wrote:Actually, I think that's a strength of the genre that it can include both a completely turn-based strategy style which allows for slow planning and deep thinking while also enabling the incorporation of real time elements to influence decisions made during play. For me, this points to the genre trying new things and continuing to develop, as opposed to simply presenting the same formula SRPGs have been trying since the days of Fire Emblem on the Famicom.

But as soon as you start incorporating real-time elements, it becomes a very different style of game.

There is more than enough different things you can do in a turn-based system that you don't need to go branching off into real-time to be innovative.

But it is still turn based. It's just that characters automatically open fire when they see you moving about, which makes sense considering what weapons and relative time period the game takes place in. I don't think it will end the idea of SRPGs, but it makes sense from a game that is a pseudo WW2 title.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I thought being completely different was the whole point.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Robonaut
8-bit

Post by Robonaut »

[quote="Ack"]But it is still turn based. It's just that characters automatically open fire when they see you moving about, which makes sense considering what weapons and relative time period the game takes place in. [\quote]

Actually, it doesn't make sense.

Why can I shoot an infinite amount of times on the enemy's turn but can only fire once on my own turn?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Robonaut wrote:
Ack wrote:But it is still turn based. It's just that characters automatically open fire when they see you moving about, which makes sense considering what weapons and relative time period the game takes place in.

Why can I shoot an infinite amount of times on the enemy's turn but can only fire once on my own turn?

Are you really questioning this? Why should they be taking turns at all? It's a WAR after all! :lol:

RPG battle systems aren't supposed to make sense!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

AppleQueso wrote:
Robonaut wrote:
Ack wrote:But it is still turn based. It's just that characters automatically open fire when they see you moving about, which makes sense considering what weapons and relative time period the game takes place in.

Are you really questioning this? Why should they be taking turns at all? It's a WAR after all! :lol:

RPG battle systems aren't supposed to make sense!

I like to think of it as the difference between a unit attacking a specific target on orders from your leader on your turn, versus firing at anyone who fires at them during the enemies turn to protect their position

Part of the fun of the game though comes in figuring out ways to take out multiple targets with minimum shots during your turn by positioning your character in just the right way. That's one of those little things the game doesn't teach, but you either learn yourself, or from watching other people play. Plus, the game has the cool potential system which throws a random element into play based on what character you're using. Your character might actually go ahead and take two turns or two actions if the mood strikes them. I like to think of that as a soldier taking initiative on the battlefield.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.