Atmospheric (early/mid 1990s) RPGs

Level up here
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Atmospheric (early/mid 1990s) RPGs

Post by Menegrothx »

I'm looking for immersive RPGs with "dungeon synth" type of music and athmosphere. Any platform will do but since I'm looking for that certain "early 90s dungeon RPG" vibe, SNES and Amiga (+PC-Engine CD and Atari ST?) games are the most likely candidates. I dont have anything against more modern games, but the chances are that they look and sound too polished. It's important that the music has that amateurish 1990s black metal synthesizer sound to it. I think the SNES can put out some great music in this style, like Castlevania IV: Waterfall and Donkey Kong Country 2 castle theme. In other words the music is "creepy", but not really due to the limitations of the hardware. Maybe "organic" and "melancholic" are better terms for describing this type of (video game) music. That's what the game should feel like: engrossing, athmospheric. Things like story and character development don't really matter, it's all about the mood.

Another really important aspect is the graphics, they shouldn't look too polished. I really like the hand drawn, comic book style of graphics many early 1990s Amiga and PC games use.
I also really like the look that games like Shadow of the Beast, Agony and Kolibri have (a lot of parallax scrolling?)
I find it appealing that many early 1990s RPGs used very bright colors while they simultaneously had a dark tone, so they looked kind of cartoonish. But "anime-ish" character sprites are sort of a turn off in this case though.

The game doesn't have to be a dungeon crawler. I'd prefer to have a turn based combat system (so that I can eat while playing :lol: ), but I don't mind real time combat if the game is otherwise excellent.

Games I've already played: Ultima Underworld, ADD: Eye of the Beholder&Slayer

Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos looks promising but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Atmospheric (early/mid 1990s) RPGs

Post by J T »

Some of the in-game music to Solstice (NES) has a slightly similar feel to what you have mentioned. Plus it has this completely epic intro theme.

Here's a crazy speed run of the game with a better shot at fitting your musical atmospheric dungeon needs.

That's not an RPG though. I'll have to think about it a bit more. Stonekeep is coming to mind, but I can't quite think of what the music sounds like, but it has a cool oppressive dungeon vibe to it.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ever play Betrayal at Krondor? It's one of my favorite WRPGs ever released on PC. Great music, graphics, and characters. It's fairly atmospheric and has a great story (there was even a series of novels based on it!). It's available on GOG, but of course free ROMs are easy enough to find..

Another PC game I would recommend is Zeliard. It's generally classified as an "RPG" due to the leveling/stat system, but it plays in real time in a sidescrolling Metroidvania sort of way. It is Japanese (developed by Game Arts and published in the US by Sierra) but feels very "Westernized."

Lastly, I would check out the SNES JRPG The 7th Saga. The game gets a lot of mixed reviews (mainly because it's hard as shit), but I absolutely love it. It has some of the best music on the SNES and it's an incredibly atmospheric title - lots of crumbling ruins and ruined towns. Just an incredibly unique game. Some tunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3n_Qt6cgbs
Tildius Maximus
16-bit

Post by Tildius Maximus »

the 7th saga is probably one of my favorite games, it was a bit grittier that many rpgs on the snes, and it had some incredible music.

you should also check out Quest for Glory for the pc, it is a pretty fun rpg from the days of dos, and can be pretty humorous as well as exciting! I was usually never disappointed in the games that sierra put out.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

I'm not aware of any RPGs in this vein but there are cinematic platformers like Blackthorne for the SNES that follow your comic style graphics and dungeon-synth music requirements to a tee.

Diablo (top-down action RPG dungeon crawler from the LATE 90's) for the PC is also the same way but of course I'm sure you know about this game already.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Tildius Maximus wrote:you should also check out Quest for Glory for the pc, it is a pretty fun rpg from the days of dos, and can be pretty humorous as well as exciting! I was usually never disappointed in the games that sierra put out.

I've been meaning to check out the Quest for Glory trilogy, isnt it a RPG/adventure game mix? Never heard of a game that mixes up those two before so I'm sure it's going to be an intresting experience (and when I checked screenshots from those games some time ago, they looked absolutely beautiful)
dogman91 wrote:I'm not aware of any RPGs in this vein but there are cinematic platformers like Blackthorne for the SNES that follow your comic style graphics and dungeon-synth music requirements to a tee.

I've got Blackthorne on 32X and it's a nice looking game but like I said, I'm looking for RPGs :)
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Liberation - Amiga CD32

Eye of the Beholder - Amiga

The Eidolon - Atari 800XL (music might not be up to snuff but holy **** amazing game preceding Res. Evil and Doom - that is all)

Dungeon Master - Atari ST - (also available on jpn Saturn)

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss - PC - (saved the best for last 8) )
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad